Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
2,758 Posts
Yeah, I went up there today to go after kokes and couldn't get on the lake. :eek:. Same spot last week had 18 inches of good solid ice. I did try some of the open water along shore but no luck.

·
Registered
1,793 Posts
Do you know if Witchers Cove has any open water at all? I'm going to head up there Friday, if I can wrangle a day off of work. Thanks!

·
Registered
2,758 Posts
There was open water along the shoreline at Witchers and most of the south side when I was there last Friday. Keep an eye on night time temps if you are heading up there and that will tell you what to expect when you arrive.

11 Mile Marina fishing report had posted kokanee pics so that gave me some hope. When Larry did that did that a few years ago I was able to find them, but not this time. Maybe find 'em when the lake opens for boating. ;D

·
Registered
16,613 Posts
There was open water along the shoreline at Witchers and most of the south side when I was there last Friday. Keep an eye on night time temps if you are heading up there and that will tell you what to expect when you arrive.

11 Mile Marina fishing report had posted kokanee pics so that gave me some hope. When Larry did that did that a few years ago I was able to find them, but not this time. Maybe find 'em when the lake opens for boating. ;D
How open? 10ft? 50ft?

·
Registered
2,758 Posts
How open? 10ft? 50ft?
10 ft early, opened up quite a bit as it warmed up. Most of the open water along shore was shallow. I did find a couple of deeper spots open and gave it a shot. Didn't have a lot of the right gear with me so I left after losing some lures. Some guys who had long poles and bait came in right behind me but weren't catching while I was there.

·
Registered
1,793 Posts
Albow, thanks for the info. Got Thursday off, temps going to be pretty warm that day (still cool at night though), so will hope for some open water to shore fish. If not, will fish Deckers. Thanks again!

·
Registered
444 Posts
FWIW I just called the 11 mile/Spinney office. I was told the follow which is not verbatim:

"We had 90% ice on 11 mile on Saturday, as of today I estimate we have 10% ice left on the lake. Right now we are allowing float tube or pontoons that are ONLY fin powered, no motors of any kind. I need to caution you, we have some ice flows out there that are averaging 12 inches thick that are not visible along the water line. If you decide to come up this weekend exercise extreme caution if you decide to use your float tube."

·
Registered
1,793 Posts
Went there today...fished from 8:30 AM to 6:30 PM, caught 3 fish and lost 3 fish...sunny, but windy, with gusts 30-40 mph out in the open...fished the other side of Witcher's...had a big one almost to the net when my damn line snapped. Guess I must have gotten excited thinking I would have a Slayer-like pic to post, but gotta land them first. Looked to be over a 2 foot trout. Right after I lost the beast, the wind came on strong and started blowing ice chunks around. Had to wait for about an hour until all the ice passed by me. On the way out, looks like it all melted. BTW, 11-Mile Reservoir looks to be about 95% ice free, could be 100%, but I didn't venture into the back country area. I fished Witcher's, Lazy Boy, and Sucker's Cove.

BTW, does anyone have an opening date for Rampart (the road, that is)?

1 - 16 of 16 Posts