Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

1 - 20 of 73 Posts

·
Registered
625 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
next week I get two days to fish (hooray!) even better it's during the week. I was thinking 11 mile but I see a lot of people on here saying that 11 mile isn't the place to be (although not a lot of reasons why). Shadow Mtn was an OK experience but I'm not dying to go back and be surrounded by tools who either stand on you or cast right into you.

Where should this newbie shore fisherman go for a rewarding two days? I figure no more than 3.5 hour drive from Denver.

·
Registered
2,159 Posts
I'm always game hit up eleven mile or spinney. You can try the rivers that are close by as well. You have some good options there....it really depends on what you wanna do though. If you wanna fly/spinfish for trout and/or pike, do it.

·
Registered
625 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
....it really depends on what you wanna do though. If you wanna fly/spinfish for trout and/or pike, do it.
spincast from shore, would love some browns, extra love some kokanee, in my short few months of being a fisher I've never gone for or caught (or eaten) a pike, so no objection to those but less than no knowledge of them either.

I get my fill of 12-14" rainbows in wyoming when I'm there, I'd love something bigger here.

·
Registered
625 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Bigger rainbow or just anything bigger?
bigger rainbow, bigger browns, bigger kokanee - those are the limit of my knowledge but they are delicious and we fish to keep/eat.

I don't know if it was luck or what but the brown I recently caught in granby was delicious and sweet and light, even more so than the the little buggers from the glacial lakes in WY. I was pretty proud of myself with a 18" fighter until I read the blurb that says "anglers are encouraged to keep small trout under 19" to balance the population." - biggest one I caught was "small" :) oh well, it was delicious in the smoker.

·
Registered
625 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
also, I wouldn't mind a whole bucketfull of keeper yellow perch. seems like the little 4" skinny buggers love me, but that's a touch too small to be worth it. I'd love to hit my limit and have fish taco night for the neighbors. those are yummy lil buggers.

·
Registered
740 Posts
Sent you a PM - can't help you with perch but I did provide some tips and spot suggestions for 11 mile; if you go let us know how you did. I enjoy reading your reports :)

·
Registered
2,651 Posts
I've never had much luck with perch. I think finding them when you're landlocked proves much more difficult than finding the schools from a boat.

That's why ice fishing is great. You can get out there and find 'em!

Here's my PB perch! :rofl:

·
Registered
910 Posts
geez. I had to go into control panel and turn on "display avatars" to see what you're complaining about.

There used to be an option of ignoring people, and you can turn off avatar displays.

·
Registered
910 Posts
Glad I didn't change my signature to:

'And lo, Jesus did say unto them, "Party at Peters' tonight!
You guys get the hookers, I'll take care of the wine.
And dig up that Lazaarus guy, he's a Hoot!"

Jesus is everywhere. Christ? not so much

Funny on the bobblehead. I may have to get my son one for his Stryker.

·
Registered
4,039 Posts
The mile not being what it used to be... I wouldn't worry about that. You have a shot at 10# trout out of that lake any day of the year.

1 - 20 of 73 Posts