Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

1 - 20 of 46 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I have done a lot of searching and I still don't know if I should put a leader on my line.

I have a braid on my spool right now (spinning gear) that is 8lb diameter with 25lb strength. I am hoping to hook into some pike and possibly bigger trout than I have been in the streams.

Should I put a fluorocarbon leader on my braid? If so, any recommendations on #test, length, should I have a snap swivel on my braid to make transitions easier between lures (put a loop in the end of the leader and tie to the lure so I can just swap them out)?

There seems to be lots of different ways. I would rather not lose a bunch of lures, but I still want lots of action.

Thanks,

Tuna

·
Registered
7,804 Posts
I'm by far no expert, but I fish with a few guys who I think are some bad mofos when it comes to toofy critters.

I personally don't **** with braid anymore. I run 20# Copolymer with a 40-50 fluoro leader (learned that from the bad mofos).

For lighter diameter line, I don't recommend line to line leaders of major diameter difference. The heavy stuff seems to fatigue the light line really fast.

If you're gonna fish light tackle, just go straight braid, no leader. You'll lose a few, but if you use bigger baits (jerks, spinnerbaits) you shouldn't have too many issues.

Good luck :thumb:

·
Registered
1,674 Posts
I agree that heavy mono is the best choice. Beware of Braid. Sharp objects can shear it easier than mono.
I've gone to a higher capacity spool size on my spincast sett up shore pike and lakers..And I feel it helps me cast 10 and 12lb flouro better. It also picks up more line per crank and the drags seem to perform well.
The one down fall is that it doesn't balance well with my a 6'6" rod because the reels are pretty big. I also like to use the larger reels on my ice rigs as well. I found that I have to run less expansive mono a backing since they hold so much line

·
Registered
7,804 Posts
LOL Yeah, I guess I should have mentioned, you probably don't wanna mate that line to a 6-6 medium spinning rod. :D

I recommend no less than 7' med-heavy rod. Baitcaster preferred. If you insist on using spinning, go with a 4000 size reel, and down size your main line weight to 14-17#

·
Registered
1,674 Posts
Only level wind I own is a Abu 6501 for verticle jigging. Baitcasters are for flippin and pitchin IMO. I don't get to do much bucket mouth fishing and that's what I think flippin' pitchin' and baitcasters are for. I like to go medium weight fast action on the rods. The medium heavies and the 7' lose some sensitivity. personally I like no heavier the 12lb test on the mainline. 30lb test on the pike leader.

·
Registered
12,554 Posts
If there are lots of weeds around (11mile west end in july), fish a main line mono/flouro leader in 14-15lb. Tie off to the 18" 40-50lb flouro leader with an albright knot. This is the way.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Rod is a 7ft medium Ugly Stik with a Pflueger President 6935 reel. I don't want to unspool the braid as I just put it on.

Would it be a terrible idea to put a heavy snap swivel on it then put a heavy leader on the lures connected to the snap swivel? If I made the leader 3-4 ft would that be enough to preserve the lure action? throwing mepps, daredevil, spinners.

Looks like I did this a bit backwards as I started building before asking questions (Though I searched first).

·
Registered
12,554 Posts
That would probably work fine...however...I would use a barrel swivel instead of a snap swivel. If you are going to use the braid, then make sure your leader is a couple feet long, at least. Honestly, if you are throwing troutlures like mepps and spinners, don't even bother with leader. I figured you were throwing pike lures like jerkbaits and swimbaits. Those are the ones that need the heavy leader.

·
Registered
1,674 Posts
great advise from riv, only thing not to do IMO is run your briad straight to your lure if that is what is meant by saying not to bother with the leader.
3 feet of 2x or 3x flouro leader works great for trout. Don't use just any brand flouro for your leader. The spider, vanish, and cheaper flouros really suck Dog balls. You can get the 2x or 3x at the flyshops RIO,Umpqua etc... Seagur is also good flouro.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #12 (Edited)
Yeah I am mostly going to try to get both trout and pike (and have a blast). The biggest I am throwing is a 1/2 oz derdevl, a #4 mepps, and some HD trouts.

So you are suggesting this for a good flouro leader or should I just go with a flouro line in the correct # test?

What do I gain by going with a barrel swivel? I was hoping to conserve the leader if I have to buy the more expensive stuff by having it pro tied to each lure with a loop to just snap into something like this

·
Registered
4,743 Posts
Actually I'd stay on the 3ft side of things if not a bit shorter, 4ft will be a pain in the a$$ to cast, at least it would for me..

·
Registered
4,743 Posts
Why the snap??

Tie a knot on each end of the barrel ( braid to barrel, other end of barrel to leader material).

I'm with Riv and not Fordo on the braid for trout, tie it direct, if your after the toothy guys then use a heavy leader on the other end of the barrel.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I was trying to cut down on tying knots. by having the leaders tied to the hooks with the loop to just put into the swivel. But that's probably just a crazy idea I had to save time.

If I am going for trout tied directly on and a toothy guy hits it am I more or less just going to lose the lure?

·
Registered
4,743 Posts
I caught a 16 lb pike out of Spinney many moons ago on 6 lb test mono throwing tube jigs for trout, so it doesn't always happen, but that certainly is not advisable.

I'd avoid the snaps like the plague and learn how to tie knots more efficiently IMHO.

Hope you catch some fish and post up a report!!

·
Registered
12,554 Posts
I doubt you will get sawed off a ton on those lures. Those aren't pike lures at all....cept MAYBE the daredevle. If you want pike, use pike lures....and the heavy leader. Otherwise, I wouldn't overthink it too much. They are just trout :lol:

·
Registered
1,674 Posts
If you don't want to use the albright to connect leader to braid, take your braid, double the end over about 6". Then tie it in a knot. The end will turn into a loop. cut the tag end off. Now you can tie your leader right to the loop in the end of your braid with a clynch, or modified clynch not. just like you would do tying it to the barrel swivel.

·
Registered
12,554 Posts
The albright knot is a very nice knot to learn for line to line knots. I would suggest learning it. Braid to mono/flouro knots are pretty rough for beginners, but I found the albright to work fairly well for any purpose....especially light line to heavy line.

·
Registered
12,554 Posts
If you don't want to use the albright to connect leader to braid, take your braid, double the end over about 6". Then tie it in a knot. The end will turn into a loop. cut the tag end off. Now you can tie your leader right to the loop in the end of your braid with a clynch, or modified clynch not. just like you would do tying it to the barrel swivel.
$$$

1 - 20 of 46 Posts