Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
1,793 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What a great day of fishing at 11-Mile today! A little windy, but great temps and slightly overcast skies made for a wonderful outing. My fishing partners Gene caught his limit, Eddie caught his, and I caught mine and then some...I caught at least 60 fish and another 20 or so got off the hook in the heavy waves. I have never caught so many fish on a single lure. I love you 11-Mile Reservoir! Ice off is a beautiful thing! There was a guy taking his sister fishing for the first time there, so I showed him what was working for me and where exactly we fished at. I know, blasphemy, right?

Attachments

·
Registered
1,793 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
What lure did you have all this luck with if you don't mind me askin
Not at all. A 1/4 oz Joe's Flies spinner in the Black Gnat trim pattern with a silver blade; what's funny is that I have never caught anything on this lure before. I love the Joe's Flies lures though, as once you start the spin on the blade, you can retrieve it really slow and it still spins like crazy. My favorite is the March Brown pattern 1/4 oz with gold blade. Walmart, Bass Pro and Cabelas has them. I have caught bass, wiper, walleye, saugeye, rainbow trout, brown trout, cutthroat trout, splake, lake trout, and crappie on the March Brown.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Cool cool thanks for sharing and nice catches, iv got a mepps just like the brown but have never had any luck on it. I'll give it another go next time im out

·
Registered
1,793 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Nice limit of fish! The mile kicks my ass every time.
Right now it wouldn't...PM me if you want to know a great place to fish...at least it was a great place on Saturday, but I don't see it changing any time soon.

·
Registered
1,793 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Golden rod, fishing is made a bit easier at ice off! I feel inadequate when I see everyone else here and their success ;) Just like hunting, the experience of getting out there in the outdoors with friends and the occasional fish, bird, rabbit, or other animal is enough to keep me satisfied. But I'm not going to lie - I would love to catch a big trout and get to release it!

·
Registered
1,421 Posts
I hit the mile Sunday 5/4/14. Found a cove sheltered enough that the waves only occasionally broke over the back of the belly boat. Water was 48F. Started with a White/red marabou streamer followed by a black wolley bugger with purple flash. Trying to cover all the bases light/dark searching rig.. Then I tried a crayfish.. Then a weighted streamer and a scud, unweighted and a different color scud. No luck. Got blown to shore while changeing flies and while standing in my belly boat I see a carp, then i see his friends.... about 15 cruising and they are all about the size of my thigh. when I saw them i underhand lobbed the clouser and scud I just tied on in the water between me and the shore in the direction they were headed. trying to look like a tree with just the leader throught the guides. Had one moving in the dirrection of my scud....... Others were milling around my feet. Wind gust and the whole rig moves about two feet and they all blow up and are gone... And the skunking continues for awhile. Looking like my usual trip to 11 mile reservoir. Lots of wind, some carp sightings and no fish to net. Then i see two spin guys actually leave the stretch of beach near the parking lot and fish the back of the cove. They were chucking big spoons and retrieving as fast as possible. And they are reeling in fish on what seems like half their casts. So i go digging thru my bugger box and find four black pistole pete's. Where I learned to fly fish there were alot of oldtimers that fished the hell out of that pattern, usually the north platte special version. I had found some awhile back for 0.89 cents each so I picked some up but had never had much luck. Anyway i cast it out and strip it back as fast as I could. Fish on! It was one of my rare meat trips and I got my limit. They were delicious. Sometimes you just need flashy and noisey to get their attention I guess.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts