Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
509 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Fished 11 mi. today, off Stoll. Sketchy ice in some areas, near to shore in 16 FOW, punching through 14 in. of ice.
I'm a knuckle head ice fisher. Only landed one nice bow. Missed a monster brown after he ran on me a few times. I saw more large bows and browns than I have ever seen at 11 mi. today.
Fish off the bottom in the a.m., then mid morning to lunch time, look for the browns cruising near the ice cap, around 1-2 ft. below the ice. They are real finicky, they just kept nosing my jigs, never really hitting it. They seemed most interested in anything orange. I'll probably go again next weekend, I hope I can figure out how to entice some of those big fish to hit before I head up again.
Chris

·
Registered
97 Posts
We were at stoll this morning also, we were the only guys out with no shelter first thing in the morning BRRRRR!!, didn't have much luck there! So we moved to Coyote Ridge at about 10:00  "after warming up in the car for a bit" caught about 5 kokanee and only one bow, all 13"-16" 22fow and I agree, orange was definatly the color of the day. Will more than likely be there again next weekend! 8)

·
Registered
117 Posts
nice report icefisher, thx

just curious how was the weather? was it overcast? i wont ask if it got windy lol. Did you try switching colors as the day wore on? i heard that if they're just nibbling, to try a more natural color lure (especially if its sunny), or a different size lure.

That's what I've heard, hell I haven't been able to even a get a dirty look from a fish at 11mile this year.

·
Registered
509 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Weather was great, very cold though. The good part was almost no wind at all.
I started out using small jigs, and then went a little bigger as I saw the larger fish move in. I was trying almost every color in my box. Orange still was the best, chartreuse second. I was getting some good interest from the browns with a green ratso tipped with a little green sparkly power bait.
I was the one out there in the green 3 man eskimo shelter.

·
Registered
179 Posts
where is coyote ridge? you say you got kokes. was that deep water? anyone hitting kokes anywhere else on the lake? couldn't get up there this weekend. maybe next saturday. i think it was supposed to be -11 up there-was the ice not good at stoll? 14" sounds like it last about 6" since i was there last weekend. ???

·
Registered
17 Posts
I am going to try 11 mile for the first time this week. Probably Thursday night Friday morning. I have to go to Colorado Springs for business so I'm going to take my stuff and try it out on the way back. I haven't caught a salmon since I moved back from Alaska. Maybe I should take my box of spoons that I used up there and give 'em a go. Thanks for the info.

·
Registered
344 Posts
Fished Sat. Nite at Stoll Mountain from 6P.M.- 10:30, slower than earlier in the year. Ended up getting 5 nice rainbows, taking 2 home and releasing 3. Caught all but 1 on a #10 Ratso, Pink head with white body, was fishing in 16 fow and had my jig off the bottom about 2 feet. Had what might be small fish coming up from below and coming up to my jig, this happened many times with no strikes. Was melting the ice off the scoop day dreaming, it's a good thing the drag was set on one of my rods, all of a sudden all I heard, was the drag screaming, ended up playing what apeared to be a larger fish for a short while and the fish got off, oh well. All fish that I caught were 18-20" and healthy, jigs were tipped with waxworms.
Take Care

1 - 8 of 8 Posts