Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
749 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
First time fishing the Mile soft water caught limit of bows everyday one 21" most 15-16" and fat. Trolling 3.5-3.9mph 20-24' of water blue/white rapala. Water temp 62 degrees. Friend was fishing bright green power bait form shore late in the day caught a lot of nice bows and one 26" pike

·
P I K E
10,116 Posts
Right on Chief...THX!!!!

·
Registered
98 Posts
I usually troll 1.5 to 1.8, but I have caught fish reeling in cranks while trolling, which would probably be going around 4 mph when combined with trolling speed. May have to try it:)

·
Registered
1,290 Posts
make sure your drags set..... get a bite and hold on at that speed. good stuff. fish are fast. i have a 3mph troll. when they hit all hell breaks loose. lol.

·
Registered
749 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
I started trolling 1 mph then went in .5 mph increments. When I hit 3.5 mph I was making a turn when the fish hit on the outside line meaning it was going faster than 3.5 mph. So I kept the boat between 3.7 and 3.9 mph. I have been trolling 3 mph and above in the mountains for the last couple of years and have been doing great. Lost a nice fish early because my drag was too loose. Also I don't stop the boat I bring it to an idle so slack never develops.

·
Registered
3,727 Posts
I've heard of trolling those speeds (and faster) for warm water fish like stripers, but not trout.

Glad it is working for you. Doesn't that stretch out your line?

·
Registered
24,568 Posts
I know a local guide that would troll large minnow lures at 4 to 4.5 mph for large rainbows...quite succesfully too...

·
Registered
749 Posts
Discussion Starter #12 (Edited)
Bait was a Rapala size 8ish X-rap deep 15-20'
Line Tri mono 12 lb doesn't seem stretched

I also troll with standard Rapala size 7 it works fine also

1 - 12 of 12 Posts