Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
271 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OK Fellas, like many I need some 11 Mile ice fishing help.

I have been out twice in the last week with no hits at all.

My question is ...

Is there a big difference between wax worms and meal worms? Should a guy be using one instead of the other? anyone use shrimp or leaches?

I have been using pink shrimpos, chartreuse and orange micro ice jigs, tiny crawdad imitations, and white tube jigs.

...any other bait suggestions would be great - thanks!

·
Registered
1,703 Posts
Is there a big difference between wax worms and meal worms?

Not only yes... but oh HELL yes!

Should a guy be using one instead of the other?

Not only yes... but oh HELL yes!
I have seen them prefer one over the other many times... and it could change from one hour to the next.
Just experiment till you find which one they want.

·
Registered
24,552 Posts
I'm a waxie guy for sure.
Pretty obvious from your photo shoots!

Back to the main topic...I have never done well with meal worms...

·
P I K E
10,112 Posts
Pretty obvious from your photo shoots!

Back to the main topic...I have never done well with meal worms...
that's not wax but silicone!!!

I've done better at the Mile with the large red meal worms!

·
Registered
24,552 Posts

·
P I K E
10,112 Posts
no, just didn't want to go there!!! :rolleyes: and I understood perfect...a lot of silicone not wax in Teach's pics!!! :embarassed: but I like them dearly!!! :smile:

·
Registered
910 Posts
was at the mile yesterday. Over weeds in 13 feet with a pink-glo ratso and rat finkee tipped with waxies was what got hits. All within several minutes of putting on a fresh waxworm and light jigging action.
Worms and deadstick were unproductive, but it was milky with about 4 feet visibility.

·
Registered
11,847 Posts
Waxies have worked better for me... if you are skunking, I suggest keep moving and changing depths. Seems like locating fish is most important... if you are not seeing fish in the first 15-20 min, move on.

·
P I K E
10,112 Posts
pink Rat Finky with a waxie with the head pinched off is always good too!

·
Registered
3,945 Posts
Waxies have worked better for me... if you are skunking, I suggest keep moving and changing depths. Seems like locating fish is most important... if you are not seeing fish in the first 15-20 min, move on.
Yes, keep moving. Moving back and forth between 2-3 locations can also work. I prefer shrimp over waxies for trout.

·
Registered
902 Posts
i went out with a buddy a week ago and with gf the day before. we tried kastys hard both days. only got em on dead stick. my buddys jaw jacker was on fire. gf couldnt catch any and i only caught one each day. scud patterns ftw!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts