Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
360 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I heard that a few years back the DOW put some smallmouth bass into 11 mile? I think I even read about it in the rocky mountain news. Has any one ever caught a smallie out of here or know any thing about this? Just curious I would think that this would be a good lake for them.

·
Registered
3,605 Posts
They did sock Smallies in Elevenmile. They were supposed to stock it that day with Kokes but they didn't have any left so they substituted smallies for kokes. They didn't put many in. I have every square inch of Elevenmile for roughly 5 years and have never caught one. Sense my favorite bait is a suspending stick bait my quess would be there aren't many left. I think they are in there but very, very few. hope this helps. ;D

·
Registered
360 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks I was fishing witchers cove acouple years ago and I swear I saw one so I was just curious if any one else had.

·
Premium Member
10,399 Posts
ePiC said:
At the DOW meeting someone asked and they DOW officers said they have heard rummors that people still catch them but they have never seen any proof. No pictures or anyone stopping by the marina.

·
Registered
16,634 Posts
I've fished 11-mile a ton since they stocked 'em and never saw or heard of anybody catchin one. I have caught about 20 perch at 11-mile,however. Every so often I will find a small school of them.

·
Registered
16,634 Posts
Neal I've found them by the sucker cove bluffs in 13 ft and the cove by stoll mt.in about 10 ft.Never caught any ice-fishing though.

·
Registered
6,542 Posts
You would think with all the baby crawfish and weed beds they would take off. Maybe the Pike are helping keep their numbers in check?

·
Registered
16,634 Posts
About 5 years ago I caught 2-11"ers and lost anoyhter one the same size and I was thinkin cool-lots of nice perch! But it just hasnt happened.Must be predation by pike or trout.I think 11-mile could be a tremendous perch fishery.

·
Registered
280 Posts
Years ago I was down at a fishing store down in CS and saw a guy come in with a cooler that had a perch in it that had to be pushing 16" from elevenmile.

·
Registered
16,634 Posts
Just imagine how big the perch would grow if there were some in Spinney?

·
Registered
2,927 Posts
I wouldn't want perch in those areas. Perch can really screw up a fishery once they get going. They are definitely one of if not the most damaging freshwater fish when introduced into an ecosystem.

·
Registered
360 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I think perch really mess a fishery up I would. The problem is that they just reproduce too fast. Especially with the DOWW trying to erraticate the pike.

·
Registered
2,927 Posts
Pike and predatores in a fishery are not very damaging at all compared to yellow perch. actually, in most fisheries pike and predatores really aren't that detrimental anyway. Panfish and forage fish introductions can do more harm to a fishery than a predator can. They eat up the plankton base which can destroy the food chain. also, yellow perch are especially bad because they reproduce and grow at a fast rate until they reach a certain size. They also are very pisivorous and also love to eat fish eggs. Yellow perch are a nightmare; in crawford before pike were illegally introduced the fishery was a complete mess; now thanks to the pike the fishery is nearly in check.

·
Registered
6,542 Posts
I wonder what kind of effect the recent four year drought had in retarding the the growth of the perch population in 11-Mile? This last spring the water level at 11-Mile was almsot normal! The weed beds and flats were covered again. People were catching lots of small Pike at both Spinney and 11-MIle. I suspect thePike got off a good spawn? Maybe the Perch in 11-Mile did also?

I think Pike will keep a Perch fishery from over running 11-Mile?

·
Registered
935 Posts
TFB, you're partly right, but I haven't seen any data on whether it is worse to introduce pike than to introduce perch. Both have had devastating effects on existing fisheries, but perch can have an effect in a larger variety of habitats.

There's more to be said on this that can be said elsewhere, but the gist is that introductions will change what already exists, and can wreck it altogether in some cases.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts