Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
386 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This weeks update:
The lake is 93% ice covered. Conditions are currently epic and historic in nature. We do not recall seeing the lake like this ever. 1997 did see shore fishing opportunities in February and boating by mid March. The entire shoreline from Lazy Boy to Rocking Chair have shore fishing opportunities. There are shoreline areas at Witchers Cove and North Shore by the Marina that have also opened although not quite fishable yet. The ice around the lake in general is 9 to 12 inches. Access points such as Coyote Ridge and points East are just fine but Springs conditions are the order of the day. For now we are ice fishing and shore fishing. It is very unlikely that the open water will refreeze. There is just to much of it. It is also unlikely that the lake will be open to boating in March simply because of the inspection budget. But you can expect an April 1 open date the way things are going. Currently Caution is advised.

·
P I K E
10,112 Posts
THX Bill for the update! I'll keep my Duramax running!!!

·
Registered
386 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
South Park ICE OUT!!!!!!!!!

I'm starting to think my May1 airline ticket needs some revision, I know, if I do that, it will go to -10F in Hartsel, the day we arrive and stay there until May1!!
Bill

·
Registered
1,599 Posts
I have a guest visiting out of town and I am considering making a trip to fish open water. The focus is trout. Is it worth the trip? How do you recommend fishing open water this early in the season?

Thanks

·
Registered
386 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Yak

Early season can be phenomenal and it can be tough. Do you fly fish or spin fish? Do you have a preference 11 Mile or Antero? When would you be going?
Bill

·
Registered
386 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
It's not magic and it's not Rocket Science, a combination of luck and throwing a lot of hardware at them. Generally the fish will be in shallower water as opposed to when it gets warmer. I personally like the Cross Creek to Sucker cove area. I don't personally bait fish so if that's your thing maybe someone else will chime in.
I like a medium weight outfit 2500 size reel and 6-6 1/2' fast tip rods, I spool them with 6# braid and fish w/o a tippet with just a snap to the lure.
I've listed some lures that I've found effective over the years, my personal preference is 1/4 ounce, you can cast these into the next zip code with 2#/6# braid.
Kastmasters
Thomas Bouyants (Red/Gold is my favorite)
Big red/wht Daredevles I like the bigger ones with the small silver blades by the hooks.
Rapalas brown trout pattern is my favorite
Daredevels in brown trout color
Jerk baits
Try slow medium and fast retrieves till you see what works.
Hope this helps.
Bill

·
Registered
236 Posts
whadleyco, Thanks for the report and information, I've had some success with Taz also but there are so many colors that it's hard to pinpoint the right one on any given day. The one they call the speckled hen is as good as any most of the time.

·
Registered
1,599 Posts
It's not magic and it's not Rocket Science, a combination of luck and throwing a lot of hardware at them. Generally the fish will be in shallower water as opposed to when it gets warmer. I personally like the Cross Creek to Sucker cove area. I don't personally bait fish so if that's your thing maybe someone else will chime in.
I like a medium weight outfit 2500 size reel and 6-6 1/2' fast tip rods, I spool them with 6# braid and fish w/o a tippet with just a snap to the lure.
I've listed some lures that I've found effective over the years, my personal preference is 1/4 ounce, you can cast these into the next zip code with 2#/6# braid.
Kastmasters
Thomas Bouyants (Red/Gold is my favorite)
Big red/wht Daredevles I like the bigger ones with the small silver blades by the hooks.
Rapalas brown trout pattern is my favorite
Daredevels in brown trout color
Jerk baits
Try slow medium and fast retrieves till you see what works.
Hope this helps.
Bill
Thanks for the detailed info - I'll post a report - planning to hit it this Saturday.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts