Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am new to the East Slope and am having a tough time finding a place to fish like on the West Slope that doesnt have 1 million worm drowners on the bank or is close enough to get out after work.

Do you have to be in a boat or float tube to do well at 11 mile and Spinny. I would love to try to catch a pike and some of those nice trout in an evening.

Thanks for your help guys.

Terry

·
Registered
2,180 Posts
Not much experience at Spinny but when I went with some buddies we just waded out to waist deep and were able to land a few.

Wind blows from 1100 am til darn near dark(what I have been told). I would not find it to be much fun in a tube fighting the wind, but that is me. FYI, I do not have much experience in a tube.

Did not fish 11 mile but was told that you can get into pike from shore(april time frame). Don't know if that changes with the change of seasons.

I am sure someone on here can be more help than I, but you know as much as I do now about those two res's.

·
Registered
3,710 Posts
Spinney can be great from a tube, but it takes time to figure it out (what lake doesn't?).

I have seen many people wading there. The wind at both lakes is a B.

·
Registered
1,290 Posts
waders can help you in the mile or spinney. you can also find a spot to cast at the mile for pike from shore. having been out in a boat or knowing the lake, with lake map will help. spinney can get asses to elbows, 11mile can too but you can find places to get away from the sheeple at the mile.

·
Registered
25 Posts
I did 11 mile last Saturday on one of those rented Lund's they have there. Caught a few rainbow but as soon as the wind came in we spent more time holding on then doing any fishing...

When that wind hits it makes any fishing a real *****.

·
Registered
2,758 Posts
Antero has fish. Eleven Mile was on fire today, at least on the troll. Five of diamonds got a work out!:cool:

·
Registered
2,758 Posts
I had caught my limit of trout when I put that on, and caught a bunch more after that. Was hoping for pike, but no. Guess the troutskis liked the action of the spoon today.

·
P I K E
10,113 Posts
That's only cuz pike don't gamble on 5's...gotta be the A of Spades!!!

·
Registered
46 Posts
My friends are addicted to 11mile. I enjoy it but feel like i am ready for a different lake. We belly boat the lake and i miss everything i try and catch. I have had a pike come right up to the belly boat following a bucktail jig with a green mr. twister added. Then i had a pike hit a trout spinner good and hard, i missed that it came off right at the belly boat. I missed a nice trout that came off when it jumped. I like the trout replica spinners. My friend dose great with a gold brook trout spoon when on the belly. He catches a few every time he fishes 11mile with the spoon from the belly. He loves the spoon so much that he rarely takes it off. Then our best fishing at 11mile is from shore we kill it. I have the biggest catch of a carp with a crawdad. My friends kill the Trout. I am yet to catch any trout at 11 mile or anything besides the carp. 11mile is my friends lake of choice i drive 3.5 hours from northeast to fish it with them, they drive about 2.5 from golden to get there.
here are some of our recent catches. We are headed out there once again this weekend it will be my 3rd Sunday in a row there maybe 4th Sunday in a row i cant remember.

rainbow11.jpg

carp11.jpg

·
Registered
2,758 Posts
If you are getting their attention then you are doing something right!. Try sharpening your hooks and of course you have to keep a tight line. Sometimes a different rod helps. You are going to miss some fish, that's how it goes. More you do it, better you get. ;D

·
Registered
46 Posts
My small mepps trout spinner bent the hook when the pike hit it. Then i upgraded to a bigger mepps trout spinner and a better blue fox trout spinner. My tackle box is looking great i am confident in bunch of lures that i have. I am so confident i am not sure what i want to throw next since i want to throw many lures in the box.
The pike pulled like a freight train too i had drag buzzing nicely it was the best fish i ever missed and it rivaled any fish i have ever caught too. I have caught some big catfish in Nebraska and a big carp at 11 mile. Its crazy to think the one that got away could have been my funnest and toughest catch yet. i have my eyes set on trying out a few other places like williams fork.

·
Registered
2,239 Posts
My friends are addicted to 11mile. I enjoy it but feel like i am ready for a different lake. We belly boat the lake and i miss everything i try and catch. I have had a pike come right up to the belly boat following a bucktail jig with a green mr. twister added. Then i had a pike hit a trout spinner good and hard, i missed that it came off right at the belly boat. I missed a nice trout that came off when it jumped. I like the trout replica spinners. My friend dose great with a gold brook trout spoon when on the belly. He catches a few every time he fishes 11mile with the spoon from the belly. He loves the spoon so much that he rarely takes it off. Then our best fishing at 11mile is from shore we kill it. I have the biggest catch of a carp with a crawdad. My friends kill the Trout. I am yet to catch any trout at 11 mile or anything besides the carp. 11mile is my friends lake of choice i drive 3.5 hours from northeast to fish it with them, they drive about 2.5 from golden to get there.
here are some of our recent catches. We are headed out there once again this weekend it will be my 3rd Sunday in a row there maybe 4th Sunday in a row i cant remember.

View attachment 11417

View attachment 11425
Try powerbait at night. Duno if it's bs but I seem to do better with the rainbow turbo pb with sparkles. I've done very well there with pb and even getsome big guys every once in a while. Also try casting rapalas just as the sund about to go down. That's how I got most of my pike.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Are you catching pike from shore? My friends have a crazy method that works, they use night crawlers with small marshmallows sprayed with wd40. I thought this was a joke but it works great. A customer and an associate at Bass Pro recommended a crazy lure an 8 segment 7" 2oz BPS trout lure for the pike. The sales associate is on his second one since he lost his first one. The customer has big lures and pics to show that the BPS lure work. They love it at 11 mile. I am told top water and weedless frogs work for pike.
We always fish Cross Creek. are there better spots on 11 mile. I am also told that spinny has bigger pike

·
Registered
2,239 Posts
Are you catching pike from shore? My friends have a crazy method that works, they use night crawlers with small marshmallows sprayed with wd40. I thought this was a joke but it works great. A customer and an associate at Bass Pro recommended a crazy lure an 8 segment 7" 2oz BPS trout lure for the pike. The sales associate is on his second one since he lost his first one. The customer has big lures and pics to show that the BPS lure work. They love it at 11 mile. I am told top water and weedless frogs work for pike.
We always fish Cross Creek. are there better spots on 11 mile. I am also told that spinny has bigger pike
Don't put chemicals in the water, man. Tell your friends.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts