Colorado Fisherman Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
P I K E
10,274 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
11 Mile tourney

Tough weekend and the big skunk !!! Fishing was really tough for the guys targeting pike. Alot of kokes and trout caught and the pike that were brought in were caught by the guys fishing for the kokes and trout( always the case ).
Water is still cold,hovering around 50 degrees, and pretty clear. We tried everything we could, fishing deep, middle and shallow with alot of follow ups but wouldn't take anything. Tried cranks, spinners, tube jigs even kastmasters. My son did catch a couple small trout ( both released ). We talked to alot of the other pike fisherman and they had the same luck, one buddy of mine even left early to go to another lake ( can't blame him ). Another partner pulled in one pike of 5# and another buddy had the same.
    I did have the strangest thing happen I've ever seen pike fishing. We resorted to try trolling the deep into the shallows, stopped close to shore to reel in to start casting, as soon as my crank got in site there was a a pike following up about 40 in. I figured. My son just stared, LOL, it came right up to the boat within 2 ft. away. I tried to figure 8 the crank, nothing, it just sat there staring at us. I bonked it on the snout with the crank, nothing...LOL... I even bonked it on the head with the rod tip, NOTHING. My son told me look at the baby under it, which there was, about a lil 8 incher swimming around right under her. Finally after about 10 minutes it turned and swam off like to say pack up and go home now!...LOL... it was just bizarre.
   Congrats to the others on this site that had any luck down there, I'm heading to the Fork in a couple weeks, got the pike woody blues!!!!
   Have fun & cya on the water.

·
Registered
151 Posts
Re: 11 Mile tourney

I was up fishing spinney this weekend and I stopped in at the Chapparral Park Gerneral Store on the way back home to find out the results. Some one had stopped in earlier with a 40"+, 17 lb Pike from 11mile. The story was the guy was fishing from a belly boat and caught it on a Power bait tipped Pistol Pete. ??? The store should post a pic Wednsday on there web site. Nice fat Pike!!!

·
P I K E
10,274 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·

We did see a couple guys in float tubes out in front of Stoll Mtn....LOL... power bait...go figure. Maybe we should have taken out our trout gear!!!    ???   
   Any luck at Spinney  LV ?   

·
Registered
17 Posts

Was also at the tourney. not much happening with the pike . caught 1 24" on a yellow flatfish just out from howberrt point.
Did manage to boat 5 rainbows 1 of about 22". Other than that It was slow. The 22 " had about a billion mayflys inside.
That probably explains the slow action on hardware.
Net up!!

·
Registered
2,937 Posts

Pike can be very fickle at times, especially here in colorado, but they grow very large here. I guess why I like them so much is they grow huge, but are challenging at the same time, but not too challenging say like muskie...lol. Sounds like a tough time out there, but I guess that's a good thing for the pike!

·
Registered
151 Posts

I did good on Saturday. Caught 20 trout total in about 4hours. Could not find the consentrations of larger fish. Only one was a keeper. Most people were having good success with olive colored flys. Hares ears, Pheasant tails, Damsels, and Woolly Buggers were all producing. One fisherman reported to catch 80+ fish on Friday. The crominids were hatching like CRAZY!! Clouds of them were swarming my van and I couldn't help but inhale some of those huge midges. Some were like 3/4" to 1 " long.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts