Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
4,709 Posts
Per the 11 Mile State Park website as of 3-28-14

The reservoir currently has about 18-22" of ice. A small opening exists at the inlet, but it hasn't made it to either shore yet. The lake remains 99% ice covered. No fishable shoreline exists anywhere around the lake that we know of. Please remember that ice thicknesses can vary greatly within relatively short walking distances.

Fishermen are reminded to never go out on the ice alone, always drill test holes as they walk out, carry at least a 5' length of rope, and wear a PFD when venturing out onto the ice. Cell phones are beneficial if you observe an emergency take place and need to get word of it to rangers quickly (call 911). Ice fishermen should stay away from pressure ridges and any areas that have open water.
(Updated: 3/28/2014 11:42 AM)

·
Registered
7 Posts
I was there on Saturday. Large area of open water at the inlet. Only about 50 yards from Cross Creek camp spots. 2-3 ft of open water around Suckers Cove. Rogers locked up less a small opening in the cove to the right of the parking lot. Howbert a big section in the cove open water pretty shollow in that spot. Witchers completely locked up except way into the cove about 2-4 ft of open water. North marina all locked up besides a small sliver behind larry's. Ice thickness was 18-22". I would say 95% froze up. It's going to be awhile gents. Fishing sucked by the way. As you can tell I was all over the lake. The north marina was packed full of 6-8" fish. Caught fish with a bare hook. Stay away from the north marina if you don't like stockers but the other end is if you have kids it is a prime spot. they will be busy all day. A small jig tipped with a salmon egg and they will be busy. Ice is gray in color but very firm. No snow on the lake. After this warm week ice fishing access is going to be tough once 2-3ft opens up around the whole lake. I would guess 2 weeks before some areas might open up enough to throw a pole in from the banks. 18-22" of ice is going to take awhile to come off. Tight lines.

·
Registered
9,159 Posts
Can't wait to read the slayer reports in 3 weeks.

I might even join him.... Lately I've become very partial to the mile.

·
Registered
414 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
First time in as long as I can remember ( that`s a long, long time ago ) we left the `mile` with a skunk in the truck. NO pike any where ( heck even the usual vegetation was gone ) and watched a couple rainbow stockers pass the jigs at 18 ft but no takers. Not even a `sniffer`. Plenty of fishable ice still.

·
Registered
1,793 Posts
Racer, in your opinion, since there will be some warmer days this week, will there be any open water along the shores? Looking forward to going there this weekend, if there is open water to be found. Thanks - Noel

·
Registered
1,793 Posts
From 11-mile Marina as of 4/3/14:
The lake is at least 95% ice covered with ice thickness running 15 to 20 inches. Unfortunately for die hard ice anglers getting on and off might present a problem around most areas since the edges have melted off. The Coyote Ridge and Corral access areas are the best and safest with the ice along the shoreline areas still being pretty solid. Shore angling opportunities are available mostly on the South Shore. Keep in mind the ice can move based on wind and close off areas that were once open. In addition winter is back as of this writing with 8 new inches of snow on the ground and more coming down. Cold temps tonight will more than likely refreeze alot of the open water that exists.

·
Registered
414 Posts
Discussion Starter #11 (Edited)
Noel,

There will still be iceable water to fish however the edges are starting to get pretty soft. Rockingchair to Howbart is open pretty much. Lots of open water up in the mouth where it`s shallow. I`d bet the north shore ice is gonna be gone in a couple of days. The ice was a good 12" deep all around Goose Island. There was about 4 inches of snow on the ice yesterday. Early AM temperatures were around 17 deg.
Good luck.

·
Registered
1,793 Posts
Thanks, Racer! Music to my ears (but maybe not those still ice fishing!)! The warmer weather this week will probably open up a little more shoreline, which I imagine will be packed with anglers!

·
Registered
16,618 Posts
Thanks, Racer! Music to my ears (but maybe not those still ice fishing!)! The warmer weather this week will probably open up a little more shoreline, which I imagine will be packed with anglers!
Maybe not if you guys quit freekin talkin about it--

·
Registered
24,568 Posts
Lol at least it isnt Fordo for a change...not even his neighborhood...

·
Registered
1,793 Posts
New report - 11 mile suffered another deep freeze last night and there is no longer any open shoreline for fishing - that's zero, zilch, nada, none, so don't bother going. Is that better ;)

·
Registered
16,618 Posts
New report - 11 mile suffered another deep freeze last night and there is no longer any open shoreline for fishing - that's zero, zilch, nada, none, so don't bother going. Is that better ;)
It's your story tell it any way you like-

·
Registered
4,800 Posts
Certain someone suggests keeping it quit, yet he has posted pics from his spring trips at Lake X for the last 7 years :biggrin1:

·
Registered
16,618 Posts
**** YOU GUYSES-

I'll pound it hard for a couple weeks till it slows down. Then post all the pics and let the masses converge for the crumbs that are left-

1 - 20 of 25 Posts