Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
371 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We had a large group go to Antero yesterday, 12/21/10. There were 16 of us and the starting temp was 27 with the ending temp of 38. I can not believe how warm it is this year!!! We arrived at the lake at 6:15am and tried to hike out to our location only to find massive degradation of ice conditions from 10 days ago. I had to do a lot of spud bar exploration and we ending up retreating 1/4 mile to go over land into the NorthWest side. Once on good ice we went to our honey hole only to find the GPS saying that our spot was sitting about 100 ft out into open water. Oh well, we just swiss cheesed where we were and fished. Nothing huge today with everyone catching a couple of fish with a total of around 30, most released. We had several people with us who had never ice fished before and they all did well. One missed a big fish. I asked him why he tried to hand line the fish in and he said that something was wrong with the reel and it keep screaming and letting line out and he couldn't reel in any line. I then apologized for not explaining a drag system and that is exactly what it was supposed to do on a big fish. Hot colors were white and orange. Ice thickness down to 6 inches from about 9 a few weeks ago. The little open water is now probably about 20% of the lake. I feel like I am still waiting for ice season to start in South Park. The good news is that the open water and wind is really keeping the oxygen in the lake. Someone in our group left a rod unattended to play on the ice. I heard drag going out and looked up but couldn't see anyone fighting a fish. I then noticed one of the rod/reels gone. Another sacrifice to Antero.

Me trying to find a safe passage to land to get around the open water

[b]Our group waiting along a break to watch me test the routes[/b]
[IMG]

[b]Newbie, Will, with his first catch through the ice[/b]
[img]http://i269.photobucket.com/albums/jj79/thefishin6/156785_1705307081474_1501929097_1671284_4849608_n.jpg

Amanda with a fish - she is the one who had her rod/reel stolen

[b]Photo of the open water[/b]
[img]http://i269.photobucket.com/albums/jj79/thefishin6/65852_1705308121500_1501929097_1671288_6604688_n.jpg

Showing the open water between the North and South of Antero on the West side of the lake

Russell with one of his smaller fish. He caught a nice one right when we started the day

End of day with some of the crew, Steve, Taylor and Russell

End of Day with our Team Type 1 (all three diabetics) - Me, Zyler and Will. It was an incredible tough haul out pulling sleds over the land crossing. Two of us had our blood sugar go below 40 that evening (that's pretty dang low) from the intense exercise

·
Registered
28 Posts
Excellent report man--thank you. I fished Antero last weekend with 4 adult friends and we did fairly well about 300 yards NW of the south boat ramp. The ice was about 5" there. Closer to shore it was 8". We caught 6 of our 7 fish on jigs/spoons tipped with krill.

I am interested in taking my 4 sons, ages ranging from 4-12 ice-fishing tomorrow. I do not want to take them to a lake that is even close to unsafe. I like to fish Antero, but based on temperature and ice conditions, I am more inclined to take them to Tarryall. I'm a little apprehensive toward that as I have never fished there. What is your recommendation for Antero--do you know there are areas that are safe and where would that be? I'm not looking for honey-hole information--just information on safe ice at Antero and if anybody reads this with recent ice information on Tarryall, I would be much obliged. Thank you fellars.

·
Registered
371 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I am not an expert on Tarryall because I don't fish. However, I have friends that fish it and they say that it is very consistent for normal 12 inch trout. I have a thing for wanting to fish a lake with rod stealing monsters even if I don't catch them very often. I have heard that even Tarryall has weak spots or even open water. Other than the complete pounding that Dillon is getting with snow, that is a good spot for kids. I have also heard that Georgetown is fishing consistently now for 12 inch type fish with a lot of browns. I love taking kids fishing - good luck!

·
Registered
462 Posts
I went to Tarryall yesterday with my son and two grandkids. A good day . We caught over twenty bows between 9 and 11 inches in good weather. We fished just in front of the boat ramp in 7 inches of ice. Used white or pink jigs tipped with a mealworm.

·
Registered
371 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
My only positive spin is that I have a friend from California visiting the first week of January to fish and he might just experience some "first ice" conditions at Antero and Elevenmile.

·
Registered
371 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Ok, now we're getting personal. This was from The Life of Brian and my name is Brian. Is this an analogy that this ice season is crucifying me? ;D

·
Registered
2,052 Posts
Were you guys over more towards the inlet area? Were going tommorrow morning. Dad went this morning and missed a bunch and got one koke.

·
Registered
371 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Two of us, me and my buddy Zyler, broke away from the group for 30 minutes to try our spot at the inlet area but it really wasn't worth it and we came back. I swear the fish really are not biting, they are nibbling or slurping but definitely not biting or hitting.

·
Registered
5,983 Posts
sswan said:
human cannonball said:
You know full well that I don't click on links that you or Jorgemunger post unless you swear on your ancestors' graves that they're totally innocuous.
You have my word.
TheFishin6 said:
Ok, now we're getting personal. This was from The Life of Brian and my name is Brian. Is this an analogy that this ice season is crucifying me? ;D
See....ya'll ALWAYS look like you're having fun out there!!! ;D

·
Registered
721 Posts
Cool report. That's crazy that you're able to get so many new ice fishermen out there every year. Very fun to teach people something you love. I went out today and the ice was very weird, there were quite a few zones of open water. Thanks for your reports from Antero this year and keep them coming.

·
Registered
3,140 Posts
Nice!!! Dig the report.

Was out there today...ice is rotting big time!!! It was pretty scary being on the ice at times today. Be careful everybody! Not going back until there's a deep freeze.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts