Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
371 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We started the day at the North boat ramp at Antero at 5:20am with an amazing moonrise with the stars. That was followed by a really nice sunrise. STARTING temp was 32 and ending temp was 53. WAY too warm!!! Met Grumpie Gills in the parking lot at the beginning and the end of our day at Antero. He had a successful day as did we. Fishing was really good for the first hour until the wind shifted and went to 50 knots+. I have never seen it blow that hard at Antero and I have fished their off and on for 15 years. White, pink and orange were the colors and the fish seemed to be considerably more aggressive than our first two trips to Antero this year. You have to scroll down and see the scary/funny videos. We caught 6-8 fish each at Antero and got many hits and landed one each at Elevenmile where we ended the day with about 1 hour of fishing. Our biggest fish was Steve's 22 inch (not measured) Snake River Cutthroat. The thickest ice at Antero was about 7 - 8 inches but it is a really dynamic situation with huge areas of water opening up very quickly. We found what we think is about the thickest ice at Elevenmile at about 4 inches of fairly soft ice. We were all using 4lb test. Antero was all deadsticking and the fish at Elevenmile liked the deadstick and the jigged Kastmaster.

Sunrise at Antero

One of Joel's Fish

Another one of Joel's Fish

Video of Steve after he was blown over in the shelter
[/URL]

[b]A really nice looking Snake River Cutthroat caught by Steve[/b]
[img]http://i269.photobucket.com/albums/jj79/thefishin6/IMG_0203.jpg

Within 5 minutes this section of Antero went from no crack to 20 feet wide of open water. Joel heard a big crack like thunder about 50 feet from him. We looked and their was a crack veeeeery long and about 2 inches across filled with water. 30 seconds later it was 2 feet wide (we started packing up) and when we started moving after about 5 minutes, it was 20 feet wide. Since we were on the "wrong side" of the open water, we had to cross it at its narrowest point (about 1 ft wide near shore) to get back to the car. Yes we did have to cross a bit of open water on the way back to the Green Lake area but this opened up a different line that was much bigger
[URL=http://s269.photobucket.com/albums/jj79/thefishin6/?action=view&current=MVI_0215.mp4][/URL]

[b]This is what Pastor Joel does on his day off. Joel has just solved the energy crisis by harnessing 50 knot winds for one way transportation.[/b]
[URL=http://s269.photobucket.com/albums/jj79/thefishin6/?action=view&current=MVI_0217.mp4][IMG][/URL]

[b]Fishing setup at Elevenmile[/b]
[img]http://i269.photobucket.com/albums/jj79/thefishin6/IMG_0220.jpg

My fish at Elevenmile

Joel's fish at Elevenmile

·
Registered
648 Posts
nice report, were you guys fishing at sucker cove on 11mile , I was there on Tuesday and we got into a bunch of decent fish real close to the shore in about 12 fow. I fished next to that steep hill to stay outa the wind. Looks like you guys had a good day

·
Registered
371 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Quicsilver171 - we did fish Sucker's cove and the fish we found were in about 18 feet of water.

·
Registered
371 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Elevenmile must have had every big rock from the shoreline thrown onto the ice. It was humorous.

·
Registered
371 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Today was definitely an ice eating day at Antero and Elevenmile. Even thought the ice was thicker and stronger at Antero, the speed of change was very freaky.

·
Registered
371 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Very spooky tomorrow in South Park - don't hide in a shelter for 3 hours without watching what is happening around you.

·
Banned
1,157 Posts
TheFishin6 said:
Antero was all deadsticking and the fish at Elevenmile liked the deadstick and the jigged Kastmaster.
your exactly right, that was my same set up too, but mine hit after the jiggin. :)

your report is awesome and glad you guys got into them like i did. even though ur report blows mine out of the water, u should of told me u were going to the mile, i would of followed. ;D

·
Registered
371 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
We were actually thinking of Tarryall but decided at the last minute to take a peek at Elevenmile. We weren't even thinking Elevenmile until we left Antero and thought about the wind direction and the bluffs at Elevenmile to block the West wind.

·
Registered
1,464 Posts
Cool report! Early ice is definitely shaky especially with high winds and warm temps. Nice fish, and I absolutely laughed my a$$ off at the site of your buddy sliding on the ice in his shelter!!!!! :D

·
Registered
371 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
The sled sailboat was my idea and I told him to do it so I could get a video. I wasn't going to try it first.

·
Banned
1,157 Posts
TheFishin6 said:
The sled sailboat was my idea and I told him to do it so I could get a video. I wasn't going to try it first.
u know it totally looked different from where i was when MY sled was TAKING ME back to ther car, i felt a sign of relief when i saw someone elses tent taking them for a walk to...... then i saw the video, i was like doh. :D

1 - 20 of 27 Posts