Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The fishing report claims a 17 pound Pike was caught out of Martin Lake on green power bait..... Wouldnt be my bait of choice fishing for pike...then again i am new to pike fishing....doese anyone else find this odd or is it just me.... what are good lures or bait for Pike fishing and good time of year to catch pike.........

·
Registered
664 Posts
The whole powerbait thing is just a freak incident. I don't believe anyone targets pike on powerbait but I have seen or heard of the forked stick/ lawnchair crowd catch them on worms, corn, doughballs, etc etc. Its really the extreme exception to the rule.

Pike are typically caught on lures such as spoons, spinners, spinnerbaits, large bucktail or skirted jigs and trailers, jerkbaits, stickbaits, crankbaits, or anything else that looks big and tasty.

·
Registered
902 Posts
the pike was chasing an 8in stocker that was going after the powerbait....
always hear of freak incidents w/ fish on p-bait, but really it's only for trout

·
Registered
2,927 Posts
good bait for pike are dead anchovies or suckers, winter or summer! Some people forget they work in the summer almost as well as winter...
The best 3 lures for pike fishing are the buzzbait, the bomber long A, and the Zoom Super fluke rigged weightless texas style. Pike can be caught in any season. The largest pike are typically landed in the winter because they haven't spawned yet (they spawn in early spring). However, the slowest pike fishing, besides during the spawn, is in the winter. May is probably the best overall month for northern pike, followed by, in my opinion, december. You can catch them in any month of the year, although march and april are probably the worst two months. (However, if you are lucky enough to catch one, they will be at their absolute largest now, right before they spawn!!!). Hope this helps.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the help......ill have to give some of those lures a try

·
Registered
247 Posts
I have personaly witnessed a pike caught on power bait. My wife did it at skagway once time with white power bait on her 2nd pole while we were throwing lures.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts