Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2,272 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Since all the archery madness is done for the year, it was time to shift gears and start looking ahead to my good friend JDuncan98's upcoming 1st season elk hunt. We made it out a couple random days last year during 2nd season and had a couple coming to the call but just couldn't seal the deal. I feel like this coming hunt will truly be his first hunt and with that in mind we were determined to do some proper scouting and preparation. He had last sunday off so we decided to head up after he got off work on saturday and spend the night. My three oldest boys went along for the fun as well has Jason's wifes little brother who is the same age as my oldest(11). We arrived at my campsite at around 9pm and began setting up the tent in the dark. Jason and I could already hear the bulls bugling off thru the pines while setting up the tent so after we were done we took all the boys for a walk down the road to listen to the elk. It was hard to tell exactly how many there were bugling but we both settled on a guess of somewhere between 15 & 20 bulls scattered across the mountainside within earshot. Even tho we weren't hunting the next day or anything, it was still hard to go to sleep while listening to the bugles ringing out thru the timber. We finally drifted off and awoke around 5:30 am.....again to the sound of the bulls screaming. After a quick breakfast for the boys of donuts and chocolate milk and hot campfire coffee for Jason and I we headed off to look around. We found exactly what we hoped to find.....water in the ponds/seeps, tracks, droppings and fresh rubs everywhere. We even managed to call one in for the boys to look at just a couple hundred yards from camp at about 11 in the morning. He was all by himself and wanted to come to the bugle rather than the cow call......ending up walking right by us at less than 20 yards. We did also call in two lone cows during the day as well. By my best judgement I would say that they are just getting into the swing of the rut right now. We will be heading up again next weekend to check in on them one more time and make it even harder for Jason to sleep before his hunt finally gets here.

Looking forward to an awesome time again in the woods and hopefully helping Jason pack out his first bull.

Here are some photos of my friend Dennis and his "last day" P&Y 5-point bull that I was able to call in for him in archery season. Very big bodied bull....made us underestimate his antler size considerably. He had 44" main beams and H1, H2 & H3 were 10, 8 & 7" respectively.

·
Registered
2,402 Posts
Some very nice elk man! I wish I could have seen the one that was wrestling near our camp last night..

D.J.

·
Registered
6,684 Posts
Good luck to you guys Jeremy!! I hope you guys hav a great hunt!

I am personally not a hunter, but my dad was drooling over these pics. He has never hunted an elk before... But someday aspires to!!

·
Registered
24,509 Posts
Wow Elk hunting so easy a bass guy can call them in!!!... ;D ;D ;D

Nice job all around!...

1 - 7 of 7 Posts