Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
471 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Took the boat out Sunday to Boyd for a shake down testing trip and to register it. The new to me motor ran like a top, I love a 4 stroke!
There were about 5,000 other boats out there, I will never take the boat out to a popular lake on a weekend again unless it's crappy weather out to keep the jackasses away. I'm still learning how to troll and just fish from a boat in general. I lost a fish because my drag was set to tight for trolling, but I did land a nice crappie on a X-rap to beat a skunking.
Fishing from a boat is going to be fun this year but I just need some more practice, confidence and decent electronics.

·
Registered
7,407 Posts
All said jackasses that own and run their boats pay the same fees as you do to run your boat on said water. Nice Crappie.

·
P I K E
10,112 Posts
All said jackasses that own and run their boats pay the same fees as you do to run your boat on said water. Nice Crappie.
No they don't there slimee!!! They don't need the habitat stamp to pleasure cruise or wash us fishermen out with their tidal wakes!!! HUG AN ANGLER!!! :biggrin1:>:D:biggrin1:

·
Registered
471 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I agree that everyone has the same privilege to use public lakes for recreation and fun, but after seeing people being dragged on tubes through exposed brush piles, boats hauling ass in no wake zones and seeing how the water got turned into chocolate milk looking dirty water. I'd rather go somewhere else or on a weekday for better fishing conditions.

As a somewhat new boater, I was really turned off by the experience I had because of the lack respect/ awareness that the majority of boaters had overall, but I wasn't surprised by that. I can't imagine that the half dozen sailboaters out there had much fun in all that mess.

I was just glad my boat ran well and I caught a nice fish. If I look at the positive side, it was a good day.

·
Registered
6,273 Posts
same idea I guess can be said bout the road ways. all that pay their registration fees are allowed on same roads as everyone else. Doesn't mean that there aren't total idiots out there. Good job getting out and catching the crappie! And I agree with the jackass comment. The masses are asses!!!!!

·
Registered
2,758 Posts
Now that you know that you can trust your equipment, get on the lake early -- fishing is better too. Go during the week if you can. :cool:

·
Registered
16,614 Posts
Dude, C'mon out to the Crack this weekend! It'll be a blast-

·
Registered
16,614 Posts
Congrats on the boat...it took me 1 year to learn how to fish from a boat. Be patient and you will love it.
Yeah it took me a good dozen times out to change my approach from being a shore fisherman.

·
Registered
471 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Right now I'm a WAY better shore fisherman than a boat fisherman. 1000's of hours spent fishing on the shore and only fished from a boat a hand full of times. I'm really excited about learning to be effective fishing on the boat. This reminds me of when I was figuring out ice fishing and electronics where the key to get good at it for me. I can see that a decent/good fishfinder is very important on a boat.
Right now I've got about $250 to spend on a fish finder, any suggestions on what to get?

And no, I'm not going to the take the boat to the crack this weekend. lol. It's going to be amateur hour at most lakes this memorial day weekend.

·
Registered
6,684 Posts
You can still go during the week.... just go Really early and really late. I like to get a seal @ chatty so I can launch at any time.

·
Registered
471 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
You can still go during the week.... just go Really early and really late. I like to get a seal @ chatty so I can launch at any time.
I've never launched real early or late, without a boat inspector there. How does the seal thing work? Do you mean the green seal they give you on the way out, is there a drop box or something to put it in if there is no inspector at the boat ramp?

·
Registered
6,684 Posts
I've never launched real early or late, without a boat inspector there. How does the seal thing work? Do you mean the green seal they give you on the way out, is there a drop box or something to put it in if there is no inspector at the boat ramp?
They inspect your boat on the way out and seal it to the trailer, Not 100% sure the color but I think your right... They also give you a small white paper. You can launch anytime by filling out a little paper and putting the seal and small paper in the drop box.

At least thats how it works @ chatty, I dont know how it works at other lakes. I get the seal @ chatty and then use it at chatty. You may be able to use it at other lakes but i havent really looked into it.

·
Registered
24,553 Posts
I believe they only have one seal at state parks, if you get a seal at chatty you can go to creek...

1 - 20 of 22 Posts