Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
3,897 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So 2,267.96 grams is 5lbs which my cheap scale put this bass right under. Really a 4lbs+ fish but who knows how many grams that is, anyway it was a pretty good bass. Saturday 4-2 it was so warm out all I could think of was bass fishing, but my wife, and kids, and I all had some other things we had to get done first...by the time we were able to fish it was getting dark and I starting thinking maybe walleyes were thing to go for, my wife still wanted to go for bass. So I said why not go for both. We could always hit a multi-species fishery, I like fisheries like that because {as some of you might know from my reports} I really like to catch a lot of different types of fish. Almost all of 'em having something cool to offer. We got to fish at around 11:00pm and it was dam windy on the dam we were fishing! My wife missed a bite first, then I had a bite, it was on then gone :-\.... I got a good feeling fish on the line. The thing was, was that I had forgot to adjust my drag from a couple days before when I was throwing a real small crank. So my drag setting was very low {more like the kind of drag setting you'd run w/ 6#mono than the 20# braid I was using}. I got the fish on about a cast length out, it was a pretty long fight. Satisfying too with the fish bulldogging down deep the whole way in :D.....In the morning James and I had a cold water fishing trip planned, it turned out to be an epic 36 hours, what a difference a day and a few thousand feet of elevation can make! It went from fishing at midnight in 60 degree weather to fishing at midday in below freezing temps, I hate the ice in the guides but you can't let that slow you down! I'll post something about the cold water trip soon. Tight lines everyone!

Second bass of '11 both have been pretty nice ;D. My cheap scale put this one just under 5lbs or 2,267.96 grams.

We also saw this zombie horse the other day, thought it was worth posting...

·
Registered
3,897 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Re: 2,267.96 Grams of Bass.

To keep this report more informative I guess I'll add a little bit of information for bass fisherman just starting out; This time of the year is when we start to see pre-spawn behavior from large mouth bass in Colorado. {this process can take place in January in states like Texas, from what I've heard} Anyway this is one of the times of year I've caught some of my biggest bass. Usually they will be actively feeding this month to gain the weight needed for next months spawning effort, which will require the fish to go for long periods of time without eating at all. Pre-spawn is a time when I start to speed up my fishing a little bit and this is when I like to throw some crankbaits. I'm not saying that's all I throw, but I've had some great results on cranks at pre-spawn, sometime you'll find bass are pushing bait fish into an area and if you crank that area it can be good.

·
Registered
3,897 Posts
Discussion Starter #7

solesearcher34 said:
I'm diggin' the way '11 is starting off for you Jevan......nice work all around! O0
Thanks a lot Jeremy, I've been happy with the fishin' so far this season ;D. I'm glad to see you back on CF!

sswan said:
Nice fish and family pic.
Thank you.

Rivrunnr1 said:
Dang very nice fish!

Kyle, thanks man. That last bass you post on the bragging board you real nice too. Especially for a water park ;).

·
Registered
1,002 Posts

Awlsome man! I have never landed any big largies in the dark until the end of April.
At least in CO.
I really can't believe it's April 4th and i still haven't been bass fishing yet. I did have a smallie hooked two days ago, but it shook the jerkbait at my feet.

·
Registered
2,402 Posts

Very cool!!!! Congrats..

D.J.

·
Registered
1,676 Posts

JWurgaft said:
To keep this report more informative I guess I'll add a little bit of information for bass fisherman just starting out; This time of the year is when we start to see pre-spawn behavior from large mouth bass in Colorado. {this process can take place in January in states like Texas, from what I've heard} Anyway this is one of the times of year I've caught some of my biggest bass. Usually they will be actively feeding this month to gain the weight needed for next months spawning effort, which will require the fish to go for long periods of time without eating at all. Pre-spawn is a time when I start to speed up my fishing a little bit and this is when I like to throw some crankbaits. I'm not saying that's all I throw, but I've had some great results on cranks at pre-spawn, sometime you'll find bass are pushing bait fish into an area and if you crank that area it can be good.
Excellent post. :D

·
Registered
3,897 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Ok so just to prove my advise posted above is not a bunch of bs...here's some pics from the other morning. My wife and I got out and slammed a few bass. Notice they are still gray and sleepy from this location. I was using my finesse set up 7'6" ML spinning w/ 8# fluoro. My wife was using her new St. Croix and was happy to be getting fish on a cast length out. Only took pics of the best two fish;

·
Registered
3,897 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
swimbait said:
Man I love Rat-L-Traps... ^-^

SS
Right on man, I was going to post something about the bait; That's a cotton cordell which runs about $2 and is not a bad lure at all provided you replace the hooks it comes w/ out of the box. I use either Gamaktsu ewg or owner st-36. If you need stronger hooks yet I'd go w/ owner st-41's. Anyway I see a lot of lipless cranks going for $10-12 or maybe even more, I'm sure those are great but for me I normaly use the $3 rapala's or the $5 rat-l-traps or the cotton cordells for $2....all of those have good action and will hurt less if you snag a few and break 'em off. Tight lines guys.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts