Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
There are 2 ponds located on the South West corner inside the Chatfield grounds.  Pretty close to the Platte River.

I have fished these several times with my daughter and have not even got a bite.

Does anyone know if anyone has caught anything out of these two ponds?  I see people there every day, but, I have not seen anything come out of there.

Thanks, John

·
Premium Member
4,229 Posts
If you are talking about the ponds just across the road from the Kingfisher area I have fishe them several times. There are perch, bass, catfish, bluegill, crappie and trout in there. I have never done very well there either I usually take my canoe there and work the edges of the cattails and the west side of the ponds. seems a bit better there and it gets less pressure cause people are lazy and won't walk around.

If you stay on Wadsworth going south past the main entrance to the park there is another parking area on the left just before you get to Waterton canyon. There are a couple of other ponds there, I have never fished them but have been told they contain bass and bluegill. Alot of people don't realize they are there and don't hit them.

Dan

M

·
0 Posts
I had the same luck when I first started fishing them. I figured it out.

Turn right on the dirt road and pass up the first big pond on your right until u get to the end of the lot. There is a pond to you left. Fish that one, but walk straight from where you park and fish were the pond cuts in to the right a little bit and there is a tree and a nice little clear spot to fish. Use a half a nightcrawler on about a size 10 hook. Put the hook 2 and 1/2 feet below a bobber with no weght. Cast it about ten feet or less and you will catch bluegill all night, I promise. The time of day is key. Don't go until about five. Fish a whole crawler on the bottom as far out as you want for tiny bass or perch or something. They are tiny (6 inches) but fun. I have caught bluegill non stop from 5 to midnight every time I go. Then I switch to catfishing in the bigger pond. The bigger pond also has carp and the ranger said an 18 pound cat was poulled out last year. If you are standing on the road looking at the big pond there is an island kinda in the middle. Between the road side and the island is an old submerged dirt road that used to seperate the lakes or whatever was there before. My friends and I have walked from the road side to the island with noting above our waistsd getting wet, but there are sharp dropoffs on either side and the ponds are deep. Fish the dropping off edges of that road at night and the carp and cats will light you up.

If you can't tell I've spent quite a few summer nights out there..hehehe.

That should help and I promise if we ever get some stable warm weather you will not get skunked at the ponds. There are plenty of crawdads also.

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks Guys,

I'll give it a try. I have got to get my little one catching fish before she loses interest....

John

1 - 4 of 4 Posts