Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

2 questios about chat

2K views 12 replies 3 participants last post by  Mustang 
G
#1 ·
do the dog ponds at chatfield have fish? does the spillway at chatfield have fish and how would one go about catching them?

#3 ·
Dog training ponds in Chatty...

I fish these ponds once or twice a year due to a supposedly "hot tip" I got from another angler stating this was a great bass spot. But the dogs have the run of the place and are a huge irritant for me. Last week I had a dog actually chase my rig as I casted out.

"No Baxter! No!" echoed in my ears as the dog proceeded to trot through the cove I was fishing.

I catch a few largemouth in the 13-inch range and stumble on some decent crappie. The main rule to fishing this place in my opinion is...GET THERE EARLY before the dogs show up.

#7 ·
Take the road past the north boat ramp and keep going (past the view area on top of the hill). The road will take you past the spillway to the two main parking areas.

I like to park at the second parking area as it is a bit closer to the ponds.

Coves and wood structure on the pond to east seem to fair better for me but there are bass in both.

Hope that helps, Jay.

G
#10 ·
the chatfield ponds r if u go into the paark, take a right at the stopsign and turn right on to a dirt road right before the bridge, the dogponds u take a left and keep going past the dam and there they r

#12 ·
Jay, there are 4 ponds just south of that Kingfisher cove west of the S.P. river. I've caught bass off of wood structure on all 4 of them. These fish much better than the dog training ponds IMO. Even if you don't catch anything, its better than having to dodge Sparky and Fido all the time.

The dog traffic in the training ponds stains the water by 10AM...the other ponds are mostly clear.

Someone told me that there are otters in these ponds which would be pretty cool to see as well.

G
#13 ·
i dunno about otters ut there are 5 beavers living inthe pond on the lerft if u take a right on the dirt road, they are fun to watch, i dont know how many, but there r beavers in the other ones too, but i have seen as many as five swimming around at one time in the left small pond

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.