Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
6,273 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have two thoughts that that recently been coming up more and more. One really bothers me, and the other, well it doesn't piss me off, but I question the magnitude of this persons success.

#1) VALUES.COM. Is any one else sick of these commercials? I can't stand them. I assume they are coming from a christen based organization? Is that true? If so I recently saw a new commercial that showed pics of families from Japan, India, China, and some where in Africa. I might be wrong but, that just doesn't seem right.

#2) Anthony Robles. If ya don't know who this guy is, he's the NCAA wrestler from Arizona. He is a remarkable guy. He was born with out a right leg. He recently won the 125lb class championship. I can't take any thing from him for his incredible accomplishments. However, I question a couple things. First, watching him wrestle, it seems like he has more leverage than his counter parts. He can swing his body around with very little effort, thus giving him a greater advantage. Secondly, he it wrestling in the #125 class. He looks much bigger than his competition. What weight class would he be in with a second leg. Add 20lbs or so. I don't mean to sound like a $ick, but it's just something I've been wondering. Am I wrong?

Jim

W

·
0 Posts
I'll bet Robles has a huge advantage due to his guns. He's probaly missing 40+ pounds due to missing a leg. BUT.... he probaly gets no stability like someone with 2 legs.

Did Wayne Rooney get voted off by this guy for the reigning "Top Play" on Sportscenter?

·
Registered
5,341 Posts
I watched him through most of the tourney, and I noticed guys trying to wrestle his style not theirs. I know the kid he beat in the semi's was a thrower, but robles didn't stand up, always on the ground scrambling. changed the game a bit to much, and he won everything on points, not the way it should be done, IMO.

·
Registered
844 Posts
Robles is an amazing athlete when you place him against others who have similar handicaps not to mention those who are without one. To reach the NCAA finals is a great accomplishment, especially when you look at the pool of those who compete at that level.
I have always said that he had a 30# +- advantage in upper body strength and certainly a unique style that makes the others have to wrestle to his style.
All that said I doubt if you will have many wrestlers wishing they had one leg.
Great athlete for sure with a work ethic and determination that anyone should emulate.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts