Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Any recommendation , which one to get , and what is the difference between them , besides the mixture of oil and gas . Thanks

·
Registered
485 Posts
I am like Waterfowler...I gave up on my gas auger several years ago. I bought a ION auger and love that it starts every time (as long as the battery is charged). My brother in law still has his gas auger but is seriously looking at the drill,clamplate,auger set up as his gas auger is giving him fits.

·
Registered
2,759 Posts
Both are a pain to deal with compared to electric regarding starting and running reliability in cold weather which is of course where they are used. Better than chipping or sawing holes in years past, before electric became available. Besides doing the mixing, two strokes are loud and smell of exhaust. Both are heavy and make everything smell like gas. I have a Strikemaster with a small 4 stroke "Robin" (made by Subaru) motor that I loved but will probably never use it again -- electric is that much better.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks guye':thumb's I have an Strikemaster Lazer Drill , but somehow my batteries empty so quick , can't drill more than three holes when the ice is over a foot deep , those are 20v lithium ion 5ah from DeWalt .

·
Registered
6,432 Posts
Thanks guye':thumb's I have an Strikemaster Lazer Drill , but somehow my batteries empty so quick , can't drill more than three holes when the ice is over a foot deep , those are 20v lithium ion 5ah from DeWalt .
Abud found out recently that knock-off batteries are not as good as name brand batteries for drilling holes.

·
Registered
2,593 Posts
In addition to avoiding knock off's, here are a few more things I think help. battery and charger technology may have caught up and eliminated these as a concern, but I still try to take a few extra steps.

Do not store in freezing temps (i.e. forget to leave the battery on the drill...in the sled...in the back of the truck...)

Do not charge when cold

Do not over charge.

·
Registered
3,591 Posts
If you don't want to deal with batteries or gasoline go propane. 1 bottle will last most anglers all winter and starts on 1st or second pull every time.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts