Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone have a person/place they would suggest to repair an early 1980's merc 20hp 2 stroke? I think it will probably need new rings and honing of the cylinder walls but not positive. Could be western slope or Denver metro area or anywhere in between. I have heard of a lot of dishonest repair places out there and although I don't want to spend too much on this motor, I'm more concerned about it being done right or getting a straight answer if nothing can be done. Small engine places don't want to touch an outboard in my experience. Thanks if anyone has suggestions.

·
Registered
219 Posts
I don't know if he's still in business, but Pat at Vintage Outboards specializes in older outboards. (303) 456-9926. 5745 Tabor St. in Arvada.

·
Registered
414 Posts
I second the motion with Pat at Vintage outboard. He did an older Johnson for me and it runs like a new motor.......... even a little bit better.;)

Price was quoted at $500 / cylinder

·
Registered
2,758 Posts
Early 80's Mercury 2 stroke 20 hp is a good motor. 8)

You should be able to pick up a good one on Craigslist for less than having yours rebuilt, especially if you don't mind cleaning up the carb yourself using You Tube. Wait about 6 weeks and you'll be paying double -- because everybody gets crazy about boat stuff in the spring.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts