Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
664 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
For whatever reason, I have noticed a proliferation of high $$ lures out there all of the sudden. I've seen lots of crankbaits in the $10-$20 range. For some reason I just can't justify spending that kind of money on a crank only to lose it on the third cast. I can see $8-$10 for a pike or muskie lure but $20 for a bass crank?! anyone else have an opinion about this?

·
Registered
16,613 Posts
My bud swears by those rainbow looking swimbaits that cost 17-20 bucks. For wallys at Cherry Creek. Of course he fishes from his boat so rarely lose one.

·
Premium Member
10,399 Posts
I dont think they are made for the casual angler, but Lucky Crafts are great lures.

·
Registered
16,613 Posts
ePiC said:
I dont think they are made for the casual angler, but Lucky Crafts are great lures.
Casual anglers dont get the big wally's either!

·
Registered
6,542 Posts
I just bought a half dozen Pointer 78s. We'll see if they are worth the $

Last Spring I paid $12.00 each, I thnk? For three of those Castiac Rainbow Swimbaits. I lost two of them around Deer Island at 11-Mile fishing for Pike last fall :mad: I have had just as much success on the Storm baits that cost about a buck each.

·
Registered
2,878 Posts
Neal-You will like those 78 pointers. I have been fishing them for 3 years and they are a great bait
for smallies.

I think lure prices are like anything else-a car for instance. You can buy a new Chevy for $12,000 or you can buy a BMW for $80,000. They will both take you to where you're going but the beamer is a way nicer ride. I think LC makes the best jerks out there and I have tried more than a dozen brands. Are they overpriced? You bet they are. Are they that much better than a husky jerk. Not really, but they are better and I'm willing to spend the extra bucks to throw them.

·
Registered
2,878 Posts
Aurora Black is a great color. So is chartreuse shad, ghost, amer. shad and lazer rainbow trout. The lazer rainbow color is just great for lakers and browns and rainbows at ice-out. One of the things I really like about LC is their finishes are sheer artwork. For clear water like we have out here, I think it matters.

·
Registered
1,128 Posts
I broke down last year and purchsed LC pointers. First outing I outfished two other guys on the boat throwing smithwick and rapala jerks. So I am a believer. The only problem was I was afriad to lose them. I hung one up in a submered tree and was just about ready to jump in after it. I will get over that. I do not know about the other high priced lures but the pointer have an edge over othe jerkbaits. I now have about ten of them.

I will always use tried and true rogues and husky jerks but there are times that e pointers kick ass.

·
Premium Member
4,229 Posts
Ken Broeren said:
Twenty bucks doesn't go very far nowadays - but it does buy you 12 issues of the best multi-species magazine in the state!! :)
Smooth job getting that plug in!

Dan

F

·
0 Posts
I get frustrated paying 10 bucks for big bucktails spinner for pike fishing, 20 bucks for a lucky craft won't happen for me unless I end up fishing tournaments

·
Registered
1,128 Posts
If you want to hear crazy there is a new bait bass fisherman are going nuts for called the chatterbait. Looks like a rubber skirted jig with a flat blade attached to the front of it. Won several big tournies in the south and the manufacturer cannot keep up with demand. I saw one bait go for 127.00 yesterday on Ebay. FUBAR! Several are on Ebay today and a high bid is 75.00. It looks like it cost about 45 cents to make. People are nuts............

·
Registered
4,800 Posts
Where do you guys purchase LC lures. Local or catalogs and what models do you guys recommend because they have alot on the website.

·
Registered
2,878 Posts
Why Lucky Craft are better:

First off, I have nothing against husky jerks, rogues or any of the other baits-they all catch fish.

l.) Oval split rings-this insures that your line will never slip into the groove of the split ring and break off. A small thing but really, all hard baits should come with oval, not round split rings.

2.) Finishes-LC has the very best I have seen. Nice subtle, realistic looking finishes.

3.) They suspend. Alot of the husky jerks I have bought sink or rise in the water and you have to tune them with suspend dots. LC almost always suspend right out of the box.

4.) Hooks-LC has the sharpest hooks on any jerk I have tried. Rapala has upgraded their hooks from the old model to a (I think) VMC trebles and this is a big improvement but still not as sharp IMO.

5.) The shimmy-LC (again IMO) has a tighter, more realistic shimmy when you twitch or jerk it. A more subtle movement if you will.

6.) Better weight transfer on the cast. They absolutely sail thru the air. Longer casts.

·
Registered
1,050 Posts
I bet if you goto Ward Ponds & wade with a metal detector. You'll end up with thousands of $$ worth of lures. I lost about $40 in there barely fishing it. I ll tell you where a nasty snag area is right by shore, probably 2 ft deep. theres probably a huge nest of lures snagged to each other in that spot, was a deadly spot, cleaned me out

One day was driving close to the ponds, my rod was in truck so I stopped by Walmart and bought about $20 worth of stuff .... ended up losing everything in about 20 minutes & not a fish was caught. I was very dumbstruck.

I searched the shore, found a Tasmanian devil in the dirt. I lost that one in about 5 minutes, whipped a tree branch and broke my line, that lured sailed to the middle of pond.

Dumbstruck again!! ..... then I found a Lil Devil spoon & some jigs even further around the shore & finally caught a 6" smallmouth ... was cool i didnt get skunked at least & it made a funny story

·
Registered
1,050 Posts
Oh yea, I dont think I am allowed to own a Rapala. Ive lost every one Ive bought, except for an original brown floater..... knock on wood

1 - 20 of 22 Posts