Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
1,421 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Fished up the poudre canyon yesterday. Noodled a 200 lb Idahoan out of the cab of a upside down pickup truck....... Watch out there is some loose gravel in the canyon.. Caught some bows and browns too.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,421 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Campgrounds were full?
Actually now that you mention it, yes some were full yesterday. I know that one on the other side of the river from the rd was full when I drove up that afternoon. LOL

This guys business was transporting trailers with his pickup.... So it definitely ruined his day.

He had some cuts and bruises. A pretty good bleeder on his head. fast food wrappers and piss jugs floating around in the cab. Covered in blood.... A big diesel tank with hoses was a bit upstream of us and leaking. He was stuck in his seat belt upside down struggling to keep his head above water when we got to him.

I held him above water, got his seat belt off and got him out of the vehicle and up to my truck, first aid kit and blankets while the guy I met on the water that day went to get help at the hatchery.

Driver was pretty banged up and disorientated but was able to walk up the bank to my truck before the shock and hypothermia started to kick in. He should be ok.

·
Registered
5,192 Posts
Well done bugz!
Crazy man, you see it happen or hear a crash above where you were fishing! Dets!
Blowfish has never made a mistake

·
Registered
1,421 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 · (Edited)
I was de rigging at the pullout on the corner he missed. The guy I met and fished with had given me a ride back down to my truck and was parked behind me with his lights on so I could see to get into the truck etc. They did seal coat on that stretch so lots of loose gravel on the road. The guy who crashed passed buy us going the opposite direction us then locked up the tires and jackknifed into the river. He said that the lights blinded him, but I think he thought he was coming up to a straight away since our lights did not move and came into the corner hot... Who knows what he thought, he was pretty disorientated and confused. Watched it go down from the second he locked up the brakes. all I could see is the trailer going straight where the road curved. Pretty crazy to see happen.

·
Registered
1,618 Posts
I see the reason our insurance rates are what they are.

·
Registered
305 Posts
Narrows area? Surprising if it happened anywhere close the the hatchery as those turns aren't too bad..? Good work Bugz, that's commendable. I drive the canyon a ton and there are a handful of turns that I'm always cautious of.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,421 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
It was upstream of the hatchery and roaring creek. Right near the hidden secluded pulloff on the north side of the rd. Where the river comes back together after splitting around a good sized island. It was one of the better places to end up upside down in the river. Slow current, only half the water volume and not real deep. Not a real bad turn, just covered in loose gravel.

Unfortunately it is also just a little ways up past the hatchery and there was a significant amount of diesel and tranny fluid leaking out into the river and down that stretch of good water and through the hatchery... I saw three wreckers coming up the canyon on my way down. I am sure that they got it cleaned up asap.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts