Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
2,272 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Had a ton of things going on for the first part of the year between family & friends, remodeling projects around the house and more time spent working with the great team at Dynamic Lures. The end result of all of that is delaying the start of my 2011 vampiring season by a couple weeks. I have made a couple "semi-sessions" out with hardly pictureworthy results and tough bites for myself and my companions for the most part. The first trip was a couple weeks ago with my good friends Jason and Jerami and after 5hrs of casting in a really chilly wind we had only managed one small bite apiece and the only fish that was landed was one overambitious little 'eye that tried to tackle my big dynamic xxl jerkbait.

Next metro 'eye trip was with my oldest boy at his request and although we got a late start and didn't find any bigger fish we both had fun catching and releasing several smaller models. It was nice to see Taylor get the itch to fish again and we enjoyed several quality hours of father-son conversation while we fished. I think we ended up with 7 fish all around the same size range on black/silver dynamic xxl jerkbaits.....

I also ran outside the metro area to fish 'eyes with a couple really good friends and talented fishermen and while three of us really struggled to get bit the fourth guy in the group took us to class with a tally of 7 walleyes capped with a gorgeous 10lb 7oz. female.

Saturday night after finishing up working the dynamic booth at the Larimer County fishing show I headed out in search of 'eyes on my first really "serious" metro outing of the season. We were hoping that the fish had the feedbag on in anticipation of the incoming stormfront but alas that wasn't the case for us(myself and friends Jerami & Chris) and we really struggled to get bit. I finally landed a small 15" eye but kept at it hoping to change my fortunes. After several hours Jerami and Chris headed off to check a different part of the lake as the wind direction changed and I stayed put hoping to pull something out and waiting for them to tell me they had found some biters. Within ten minutes of them leaving I got the bite I was looking for. I was throwing a dynamic lures XXL jerkbait in black/gold/orange on 20lb Suffix 832 braid and utilizing the "change-a-weight" feature of the XXL was experimenting between suspending the lure of running it as a floater. I had just removed the internal weights and was running it as a floater when the fish hit.......just a slow steady wind with occasional bottom contact. The fish hit really hard and I knew I had something more than decent and when I got it close to shore I turned on my headlamp and got really excited about what had engulfed the lure. I knew instantly that I had a fish in the ten pound range but the real shock came when I lifted "her" out of the water and realized that she was really a "HE" as the milt began squirting out like crazy. I honestly had no idea that male walleyes could get that big. I left the fish in the water just chilling out while I got Jerami and Chris on the phone and headed back to see and take a couple pictures. They were only a couple minutes away and were soon back to see the big fella. After a quick weight/measurement we took our photos and sent him swimming back to do the duty he has presumably been performing for many, many years.......this has to be a really old male.
Final measurements were over 30" in length and 10lbs 4oz. One of the coolest fish of my career and an honor to catch and release him. Hopefully there will be many more installments of the vampire chronicles to come this season!

And the best part.....the release....

Tight lines everyone and remember to harvest responsibly and conserve thoughtfully!!!

2011 Fish Tally:

'Eyes: 7 total - Largest 10lbs 7oz.
Largemouth Bass: 1 total - Largest 2.5lbs approx
Smallmouth Bass:
Wiper:
Channel Catfish:
Rainbow Trout:
Cuttbow Trout:
Brown Trout:
Northern Pike:
Tiger Muskie:
Lake Trout:

·
Registered
3,897 Posts
Glad to see your back on CF! I was just asking James yesterday if he know where you had gone...I thought you might have move or something. Anyway nice report and great fish! Keep the reports coming! Tight lines.

·
Registered
43 Posts
chalk another one up for your lucky charm in me ;D I know it's me and nothing else.

Pretty tuff night for us though and the wind was something else.

·
Registered
7,704 Posts
Great stuff, some Beasts! Glad you're still posting.

I just placed another Dynamic order today (after losing one yesturday :'( Tell them they need a silver HD ;)

Great pics too!

·
Registered
2,272 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks everyone......just fun getting out finally!!!!

James said:
Great stuff, some Beasts! Glad you're still posting.

I just placed another Dynamic order today (after losing one yesturday :'( Tell them they need a silver HD ;)

Great pics too!
Black/silver HD's are in the works I believe James!!

·
Registered
1,002 Posts
That's a crazy huge male, looked like he was convinced it was the real deal. Hopefully a male that big found a girl in the 15# class to make some sumo eye's.

1 - 20 of 42 Posts