Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
6,542 Posts
It's a personal preference. Like driving a car.
I get it! I have five Symetre's that I use for the everyday grind. But last spring I decided to spend my tax refund on two Curado 300s, two Stradic CI4s and a couple of swimbait rods. Best money I ever spent!!

·
Registered
2,758 Posts
You musta got a bad one. I'll take it off yours hands for $20. :smile:

(JK)

Probably find something on that reel repair web site that was just posted. . .

·
Registered
988 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
When I free spin the handle it will go about 8-9 times around. My older ones both go about 11-12 times around. Wondering if i have to send it in for maintenance. Its brand new out of the box.

·
Registered
988 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
You musta got a bad one. I'll take it off yours hands for $20. :smile:

(JK)

Probably find something on that reel repair web site that was just posted. . .
link? I couldn't find anything online.

·
Registered
988 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks Pikester.

I didn't see this the last time I looked at it. No lubrication port. Must be sent in for maintenance. Ill have to call Shimano to see if this is normal. Not sure yet.

·
Registered
386 Posts
Stella Buyers Beware

I currently own several Stella reels in the 1000/2500/3000 sizes. These are finely crafted and as smooth as a fine watch. My reels are now all at least 5 years old and when I sent them in for an annual cleaning repair and maintenance last year I was told by the folks out in California that two of the reels needed parts that ARE NO LONGER AVAILABLE!!!!!!
Yes, a $700.00 +/- reel that is OBSOLETE at 5 years old!!!!
I will use them till they quit working, but be aware, Shimano changes the reels on a regular basis and they DO NOT SUPPORT OLD (5 years is NOT OLD to me) reels with spare parts. I talked with a manager there and they wanted to give me a small discount on a NEW reel, I will never buy another Stella reel.
All of the reels look close to new and are meticulously cared for but if you fish 100-150 times a year, parts will wear out.
BUYERS BEWARE!!!!!!!!!!!
Bill

·
Registered
988 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Thanks for the heads up, Bill. You might have just changed my mind about these reels.

·
Registered
1,964 Posts
One of the main reasons I don't use Shimano anymore is this:

Shimano changes the reels on a regular basis and they DO NOT SUPPORT OLD (5 years is NOT OLD to me) reels with spare parts.
There are plenty of other options that last longer and are significantly less expensive.

·
Registered
24,568 Posts
I always thought Stella sounded like a bitchy ladies name...now I know it to be true...

·
Registered
3,591 Posts
I had a Stella a long time ago when they were about half the price and ended up losing it. I was down in Mexico fishing trolling off a Panga right after I had the sunscreen out I had a hard hit and the rod slipped right out of my hand.
I love the Stradics and have several. When I was fishing in Panama one of the guides I was out with had all Stellas and told me that was the only spinning reel that could handle a big Tuna. For big game I now have a Saragosa 18000 that I have used the last several years, I've caught lots of big fish with it, the poor mans version that still has 45lbs of drag and holds over 400 yards of 80lb braid, nice and smooth so far.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts