Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

1 - 20 of 82 Posts

·
Registered
1,561 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
7 people are interested in the nymph swap. Please plan on having your flies completed and sent in to me no later then Friday, March 18, 2016 (~6 weeks to complete flies).

RULES - Each tier will tie 21 nymphs (the pattern is your choice as long as it is a nymph bug, please call out what you are tying so there are fewer duplicates). NO San Juan worms, relation to, resemblance of. Same with egg patterns, midges or worst of all store bought and passed off as your own (Trust us, we will know). Upon completion, put paper or foam toe tags on each fly to identify the fly name and/or tier. Then send the flies in a "padded" envelope to me with a couple dollars to help cover return postage or include a self addressed "padded" envelope with postage already included or a couple of dollars to cover the postage. Once I have everyone's flies, I will distribute three flies from each tier to all the participants so in the end you will receive 21 flies back (three from each of the other tiers, plus three of yours). I hope that makes sense. Normally, tiers will send their flies in a small container like an Altoid tin box or something similar to protect the flies. Also, please post up a recipe of your nymph fly pattern when you have completed the swap, I will use that to start another post with all the recipes/photos, thanks!

Tyers:
1. SlabSeeker - #16 or #18 Caddistrophic Pupae
2. EastCoastAngler - #16 Barr's Emerger / Sparkle Braid Pupae
3. bugz - #18 or #20 Snowshoe Hare Emegers
4. Pilotfly - #12 or 14 Pupatator - Flies received.
5. Fcollinscatcher - #16 Tung Teasers - Flies received.
6. BigRedFan - BH Cased Caddis - Flies received.
7. COCarp - #16 Micro Pheasant Tail

·
Registered
541 Posts
Caddis Emerger Nymph for me

As stated before, mix between Barr Emerger and Sparkle Braid Pupae for me, #16.

·
Registered
271 Posts
Thank you for hosting Cocarp!! I was thinking probably a bead head cased caddis with the upcoming hatch around the corner.

·
Registered
239 Posts
Ok...I've changed my mind seeing as how we have three caddis nymph type patterns.
I will now tie a yellow sally nymph or maybe a wet. You'll have to wait and find out. Boohoohohahahaha.
I won't change my mind again..I promise :wink:

·
Registered
305 Posts
I'm thinking a tung teaser, size 18. Tied on a longer shank hook (200 R I think?) So it's more of a size 16.

My bad, originally I got mixed up and called it a poison tung (midge pattern).

·
Registered
1,421 Posts
I will tie up some snowshoe hare emegers, size 18 or 20.

·
Registered
2,180 Posts
Good of you guys to do this. If I were a better tier I would participate. Maybe next time around. Slab ties some nice flies, I think you guys will like his artificial bugs.

·
Registered
1,561 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Right on guys. Get busy tying! Thanks for participating and I look forward to some fish catching flies.

·
Registered
484 Posts
Already have the beads on the hooks. Now starting with the ribbing and dubbing. I could just send in the hooks and beads with the rest of the materials for "do-it-yourself" flies but I guess that wouldn't be in the spirit of this swap.

Anyway glad I have joined in on this swap as it's got me back to the vise. Have changed the fly just a bit however. Rather than the original "pupatator" I am going with an offshoot of the original - a "Peacock Pupatator" as that might be a slightly better fly. How can you ever go wrong with a bit of peacock on a fly.

·
Registered
484 Posts
Cocarp - If we get done early can we get your address to send the flies off. A PM or email works. Half way done already - getting back to tying reminds me how much I really enjoy the hobby. Tying yesterday to the sounds of Enya and Gerry Rafferty. Nice relaxing day after all the snow shoveling we've been doing over here on the western slope.

·
Registered
1,561 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Cocarp - If we get done early can we get your address to send the flies off. A PM or email works. Half way done already - getting back to tying reminds me how much I really enjoy the hobby. Tying yesterday to the sounds of Enya and Gerry Rafferty. Nice relaxing day after all the snow shoveling we've been doing over here on the western slope.
PM Sent

1 - 20 of 82 Posts