Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

21 - 40 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
541 Posts
I'm wrapping up :lol: my flies, but not sure I'll have them done by tomorrow night but probably this weekend. It's been a busy month for me. CoCarp knows where to find me. I'll drop them off on Sunday at some point.

·
Registered
305 Posts
I should have mine in the mail by today.

I am not sending any tags with them, instead, I will post the recipe on here. Each set of 4 will be in their own film container.

20 Incher

Hook- 2302 size 12
Bead- Tungsten 1/8" copper
Thread- 70 denier
Tail- brown goose biots
Abdomen- I dubbed the abdomen with some simi seal peacock dubbing to give it a better taper. Followed by 2 peacock herl wrapped up to thorax, cross wrap gold tinsel to thorax.
Thorax- Golden olive simi seal mixed with hareline dubbin antique gold
Wing- Mallard flank
Wing Case- Roughly 10 olive yellow pheasant tail fibers

I tied up about 18 or so of this size and realized that a bit more length to the overall fly might be more representative of a stone. So I tied a half dozen of the following:

Hook- 200R size 12
Bead- 5/32" slotted to allow me to get the bead on the "narrow" bend of the 200R
Everything else is the same, EXCEPT, I used partridge for the wings on this fly.

I was pretty pleased with the way they turned out, so I changed gears again and tied the exact same fly as above with a size 1/8" tungsten bead to give the head a different profile.

I had every intention of keeping my fly pattern the exact same for all 20 flies, but, the more I got into it, the more I began to critique what I was doing.

I believe the shorter variation (TMC 2302 size 12) will fish well, the mallard flank for the legs gives it a slightly exaggerated look, but I think they will look good and move well in the water.

The larger version (TMC 200R with the 5/32"tungsten slotted bead) should get down easier and may represent the larger stones a bit better.

Everyone will be receiving (2) of the TMC 2302 Size 12, (1) of the 200R Size 12 w/ 5/32" slotted tungsten bead, (1) of the 200R w/ 1/8" tungsten bead.

Sorry for the long-winded post, I simply wanted to explain why they weren't all identical!

Looking forward to all of the other ties.

·
Registered
1,561 Posts
Discussion Starter #30
Received fcollinscatcher's flies yesterday. They too look great.

Wisco I know you're done and will see you at some point this weekend.

Jim & Sean?

·
Registered
34 Posts
Can hand em to ya tomorrow afternoon. Just let me know where n when. Call or txt.

Sz 10 "FreeStones"

Sz 10 tmc 2312
1/8 gold bead
Golden stone antron underbody
Tan/orange biot tails n legs
Golden stone thin skin over body and thorax plates. Use a caddis wing cutter, they are the perfect shape.

If you want i can do macros of all the flies like i used to.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,561 Posts
Discussion Starter #32
Flies have been swapped! FOCO guys y'all should have your flies in a few days.

Jim, S_L, is going to post photos of all the flies tied!

Thanks all. Up next streamer swap.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Wat great to meet a few new faces ! Nice ties too, one of the good swaps for sure. Now to test em !

For sure in for a streamer swap, already have em all tied :)

·
Registered
305 Posts
I received mine yesterday, they all look great!

Thanks for hosting, Carp. Count me in for a streamer swap. I will be doing a Dirty Hippy or a Geezus Lizard.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Trying to upload these pics, but keep getting errors, etc. each pic is 149k so.... ?? And no, im not using a phone....

·
Registered
34 Posts
2018 Winter Swap - The Flies

Ok, last shot at uploading pics. As a testament to each tyers skills...didn't have to manicure a single one of em for the shots :)

CoCarp :

S-L :

BigRedFan:

Wiscobert:

Eastcoastangler :

Ftcollinscatcher

21 - 40 of 42 Posts