Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
5,365 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
3 livers, 3 fish. Caught in the rain last night. Two of the fish were 3.5 pounds, the other one was 5.5. Fun stuff!!! MAN I have been needing to catch some cats!

I was fishing heavy braided line, 25 pounds mono leader, no sinker, and a 2/0 Kahle hook. I heard my clicker go ape sh** the first time and I got pretty excited. The big one was taking me on runs all over the place. Awesome fight.

·
Registered
5,365 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I can cast to the middle of this pond with a fat liver and no weight. Didn't need the casting distance. ;)

·
Registered
24,568 Posts
Just curious why the leader?

·
Registered
5,365 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I have the braid tied to a fat barrel swivel and I have several leaders and hooks pre-tied in my vest. Makes for easy re-rigging.

I guess its not necessary, but I used the same rig while float fishing for other species. Guess I thought visibility would be a factor there.

·
Registered
24,568 Posts
Ok just curious...extra knots scare the hell out of me especially with bigger fish...to each their own...

·
Registered
5,365 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
My braid knot to the swivel is stronger than the freakin line itself. I snelled the Kahle and put a loop on the other end, so that end wasn't tied to the swivel at all... Just ran the loop through the eye and passed the hook through the loop. I don't know if that's the best way, but I've always done it that way.

When I get down to the Tennessee river on the boat, I will seriously rethink my strategy. My buddy Rick caught a 51 pound blue there last week. That thing was a monster... I'll post the pic here in a few.

·
Registered
24,568 Posts
Wow great fish!...nope wasnt being critical...we all have differing ways of doing things that we have confidence in...just keep doing what you are doing!!

·
Registered
5,365 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Yea, I'm still learning what I'm comfortable with... Trying out new rigs and such. I like my clicker on the Baitfeeder reel, but you run the chance of your bait getting swallowed, hook and all. Last night I deep hooked a cat... The bjg one. Luckily it was just deep in the throat and I was able to get my pliers down in there and dig it out. I was worried about that fish all night after I got home. Went down to the pond this morning and I didn't see him floating anywhere, so I am pretty sure he'll make it. I'd like to figure out how to use the clicker and still insure against a possible gut hook. Maybe I just need to set the hook faster instead of letting it run.

·
Registered
5,365 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
One thing... I was wondering if it was possible to use the clicker at a tighter setting. Maybe half drag. Would this defeat the purpose, or would it keep enough pressure on the bait to keep the fish from swallowing? Also don't want to start missing a ton on spit-outs when the fish feels the tension.

·
Registered
1,503 Posts
I have no Idea what its called but I use a egg or bullet weight and then a bead and then a swivel and then a leader with the hook. let the line be limp between the rod tip and the weight and then I use a bobber lite on the line between the first and second eyelight and when they start to pull the bait the lite goes up and you figure out how long you want to let the fish run or until it hits the real then you set the hook.

·
Registered
6,684 Posts
Yea, I'm still learning what I'm comfortable with... Trying out new rigs and such. I like my clicker on the Baitfeeder reel, but you run the chance of your bait getting swallowed, hook and all. Last night I deep hooked a cat... The bjg one. Luckily it was just deep in the throat and I was able to get my pliers down in there and dig it out. I was worried about that fish all night after I got home. Went down to the pond this morning and I didn't see him floating anywhere, so I am pretty sure he'll make it. I'd like to figure out how to use the clicker and still insure against a possible gut hook. Maybe I just need to set the hook faster instead of letting it run.
Use a Circle hook.

·
Registered
24,568 Posts
I wondered about the circle hook too...do they work with liver?

·
Registered
5,365 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I like circles. Just wanted to use my nice bait-feeder function on my reel. With a circle, you need to tight-line in order to utilize the functionality and insure the hookup.

My preference would be circle-hooks... But I also want to use my clicker. Guess I can't do both.

jaguar, that's a Carolina rig, and what I have always used in the past until last night.

·
Registered
5,365 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
You can absolutely use livers with circles... Same way as with a Kahle. Either thread it on and hope for the best, or use mesh to keep it together and hook through that to be sure it stays on the hook.

·
Registered
24,568 Posts
The guys on the catfish brotherhood website used to use the old 35mm plastic film holders (you can buy them cheap on ebay)...the would get a treble hook that fit in the holder and smash chunks of liver from above onto the shank and put the cap on and freeze them. would just throw how many they needed into a cooler and go fishing...pop the cap off and use a snap to put the bait on...liver stays on better and no mess...

1 - 20 of 23 Posts