Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
1,820 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm sure a few of you have seen this from the other site - apparently a 43 inch -38lb Lake Trout came out of Grand Lake recently! Wowzas :eek:

Wish it was still swimming :-\ but a nice fish, nonetheless

·
Registered
43 Posts
Nice very nice!!! But! it would have been nicer if that mack was still swimming they take alot of years to get to that size!!! :'( :mad:

·
P I K E
10,082 Posts
IFSHDOU2? said:
Looks real nice in that garage.... No way to treat an OLD Lady!
Unless it's your mother in law! ::)

Yep that was a beautiful fish. Not many like that in Grand Lake I suppose.

·
Registered
3,589 Posts
The story I got from a reliable source was 33lbs and either way it was one of the largest fish ever caught there and there have been only 3 or 4 like that in the last 20 years from there, it was caught casting in open water. I know the guy who caught it and will congratulate him right before I give him a lecture. Yes it is a shame he killed it and I'm sure he is feeling bad about the decision he made, kinda like shooting yourself in the foot. here is an old picture of a 41" 37lber released for comparison.

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

·
Registered
4,035 Posts
captain shuyak said:
I'm sure he is feeling bad about the decision he made.
Here's the thing, Steve. I think unless a person has predetermined (firmly) what they will do in the event of catching a monster, they are likely to be swept up in the moment and want to hang on to it (i.e. the moment and the amazing fishing right before their eyes). I believe they know what has happened is a dream come true, and are (understandably) trying to seize the experience and make it last. I have seen this a number of times, and I'm sure you have to.

As with many situations in life, the time to settle inside oneself what is one's own conviction and personal ethic is before the matter arises, not during. :-\ At least that's the way I see it.

·
Registered
9,266 Posts
Hop,

Back in the day I would have agree with you about 'getting caught up in the moment' but in this day and age where everyone has a camera in their pocket and the option to get a replica based on pictures and measurements its not needed. IMO
[me=Jay] [/me]

·
Registered
4,035 Posts
Jay said:
Hop, ... in this day and age where everyone has a camera in their pocket and the option to get a replica based on pictures and measurements its not needed. IMO
[me=Jay] [/me]
Of course I couldn't agree more. Lakers make lousy skin mounts anyway. But even if people didn't have cameras and xlnt replicas weren't an option, and even if mackinaws made great skin mounts, I personally would still feel the same way.

My point wasn't to justify their actions, but to say that if it isn't pre-processed well before the trophy is boated, that fish's chance of survival is slim. Because of this, true 'mac-daddies' like Bernie, TarponJim, Capt. Shuyak, GFYOF, etc. have a firm understanding with anyone they go fishing with before the boat ever leaves the dock.

·
Registered
3,897 Posts
Hop said:
Jay said:
Hop, ... in this day and age where everyone has a camera in their pocket and the option to get a replica based on pictures and measurements its not needed. IMO
[me=Jay] [/me]
Of course I couldn't agree more. Lakers make lousy skin mounts anyway. But even if people didn't have cameras and xlnt replicas weren't an option, and even if mackinaws made great skin mounts, I personally would still feel the same way.

My point wasn't to justify their actions, but to say that if it isn't pre-processed well before the trophy is boated, that fish's chance of survival is slim. Because of this, true 'mac-daddies' like Bernie, TarponJim, Capt. Shuyak, GFYOF, etc. have a firm understanding with anyone they go fishing with before the boat ever leaves the dock.

Hop just to clarify, when you say pre processed you are meaning unless the decision to C&R the fish has already been determined before catching it? Or are talking about technical difficulties in releasing the fish in a healthy way do to exhaustion ex.?

·
Registered
11,176 Posts
Hop said:
Hop..I agree 100%. The decision to release trophy fish needs to be made long before you fish for them, not at the lake.

I really can't for the life of me understand the thought process behind wanting to kill any trophy fish....and that includes any possible state record...Who gives a hang about getting their name in a record book. Sure didn't do the fish any good. There are not enough big fish available for everyone to "mount" just one, and to keep them is nothing more than selfishness on the anglers part..just so someone can brag to their friends and family.

Better off bragging about the huge fish that's still swimming..

1 - 20 of 32 Posts