Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
654 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone drill a 3rd hole in the middle of there 2 for the poles to put their vex/marcum transducer in? I've seen it a few times on TV and wondered if it was worth it and if you could see much. Got a 6" auger now, and the hole is much tighter than 7 or 8 and trying to prevent cord tangles.

·
Banned
2,918 Posts
When I had a Vex I used to do this all the time. I sold it and picked up a X-67c. The cone angle on the X-67 in shallow water isn't as wide so I can't see other lines. Haven't tried deep water yet (deeper than 15 feet).

·
Registered
866 Posts
I also have a 6 inch auger.

Once on the fish, I use the triangular, 3 hole configuration;

Locator - Dead stick - Kasty

Seems to help keep everything separated, and untangled - with the exception of the rogue slimer

·
Registered
941 Posts
Yep, works great! I like it not only for getting the cord and 'ducer out of the way, but because it lets me spread those 2 holes out better while still being able to see both rigs.

·
Registered
6,273 Posts
the other day we were fishing 4 rods. We were in the Eskimo. I drilled 5 holes. one in the corner, and 2 off each side forming an arrow point. We put the vexin the middle and able to see all 4 tubes is 65' Pretty cool.

Jim

·
Registered
844 Posts
Yea I use 3 holes a lot, sometimes if I am using a camera and the water is clear I will drill them in a straight line and put the camera on one end so I can see both lines then the vex on the other end so I can pick up both jigs and not have the camera show up on the vex.
And yea a slimmer will mess up some stuff hangin down through a hole.

·
Registered
11,176 Posts
That Guy said:
When I had a Vex I used to do this all the time. I sold it and picked up a X-67c. The cone angle on the X-67 in shallow water isn't as wide so I can't see other lines. Haven't tried deep water yet (deeper than 15 feet).
I think the cone angle is wider on the x67c...20 degrees as opposed to 9...12...or 18...on the vexes...If you fish shallow water with the x67c...or any other LCD unit...adjusting the sensitivity down will increase your cone angle from 20 ...up to 60 degrees. A much wider view in shallow water.

I use two holes when sight fishing. And one hole for lakers...Just pull the float when I hook up.

·
Banned
1,157 Posts
i have a hummingbird 160, love it, i fish it in the same hole as my jig, i dont drill 3. it also has a dual ducer, 20 and 60. the 60 degree has helped out alot more than i thought it would, as the fish on the finder are solid black in the 20 degree and the fish in the 60 degree are outlined, i can see them in shallower water such as 15 and i can see them if they come closer cause it turns to a solid black and they follow the jig, just my opinion. it does have the zoom feature but the only draw back is u cant see the WHOLE water colom if ur in zoom. :-\ thats okay though.

·
Registered
2,775 Posts
I ALWAYS drill three holes in a crescent pattern over a space about 6-8 ft wide. Lowrance in middle, bait on one side, actively jigging on the other side ..... somewhat tough to see stuff at depths less than 8 ft. but, so what! Normally, I'm fishing deeper....

·
Registered
2,347 Posts
Y'know, the only time I've ever fished 2 holes with one transducer that could 'see' both holes was with Bernie, a couple of times, with a dual-ducer set on 19° and 2 holes in 45-70 feet of water. And that was with the transducer in one hole that was actually being fished, nonetheless. Guess it depends on what's important to you.

·
Registered
6,422 Posts
Shoot, I setup in 15 feet of water and had the vex hole less than 2 feet away from the opposite holes far side and I could not see my jig on it, I'd rather have them down the same hole.

·
Registered
12,554 Posts
Depends on water depth. Less than 10FOW, I usually put the vex down the same hole as the one with the bait. But deep water is sweet.

·
Registered
11,176 Posts
Here's a simple chart that will help you when positioning your sonar on the ice.

hobiecat said:
"This chart shows the difference in area of coverage between the 9, 12 and the 19 degree transducers. It is meant to give you a rough idea of what the diameter of the circle, in feet, on the bottom you are seeing at a specific depth."

Depth 9 degree 12 degree 19 degree

10 1.6 2.2 3.4 (bottom coverage in feet)
20 3.2 4.3 6.7
30 4.7 6.3 10.0
40 6.3 8.4 13.4
50 7.9 10.6 16.7
60 9.4 12.6 20.0
70 11.0 14.7 23.4
80 12.6 16.8 26.8
90 14.2 20.0 30.1
100 15.7 21.0 33.5
120 18.9 25.2 40.2
150 23.6 31.5 50.2

As you can see by looking at the chart....At the ten foot depth with a 12 degree transducer...You're cone of view...at the bottom is 2.2 feet. If your jig was suspended at 5 feet, your cone would only be 1.1 feet in diameter. A pretty small circle of coverage. Drill your holes accordingly.

You can also use this information if you're having interference problems from another sonar unit. If adjusting the ping speed down, decreasing sensitivity, turning on noise reduction...etc..doesn't work when fishing near someone...and you're still getting interference...you'll know how far you have to move apart from one another....

For example from the chart... 60 foot depth...19 degree transducer...gives you a 20 foot cone...You're seeing a twenty foot diameter circle around your jig...and so is your buddy....So...to eliminate interference from cone overlap, you may need to be 20 feet apart...the combined radius of each of your cones...essentually, your cone diameter.

The shallower the water...the closer together you can fish...The deeper...the further apart if you're having problems..

A quick rule of thumb...When using a 9 degree transducer, divide the depth by six to get an idea of the diameter of the circle around your jig on the bottom. With a 19 ..or 20 degree transducer...divide the depth by three.

C

·
0 Posts
I drill two holes right next to each other and set the ducer as close as I can to the second hole. I don't use the float either, I use the cleats on the sides of the ducer to shorten the cable to where I want it.

·
Registered
654 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Thanks for the info guys/gals. Hobie, I like that chart. Makes me understand more of what I'm seeing regardless of the hole the transducer is down.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts