Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Premium Member
10,399 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Fished PikeView again today from 9am to 1pm caught 8 Trout, was targetting other species got there threw out rod with marshmellows on it looking for a carp bite then proceeded to fish for saugeyes threw out a white curly tail jig while there was some cloud cover 5 mins later landed a 15" rainbow. Fished a little longer with the grub then switched to some crappie jigs black and chartruese fished under the dock caught a 10" rainbow. Fished a little longer with the crappie rig then switched to a lipless crankbait fished the rip rap and caught a 12"rainbow. Figured I better start fishing for trout at that point rigged up some salmon eggs and power bait caught 4 more trout 10-12". While I was catching them I had a hit on my marshmellows set the hook and reeled in an 18" rainbow decided I just use a worm instead of marshmellows threw it back out and about 10 mins later caught another 12" rainbow on worm.
Moral of the story if you want to catch some trout and dont want to go far in the Springs hit up pikeview also found out that alot of fish there were transplanted from Prospect pond when they drained it.

·
Registered
1,205 Posts
Hey ePic

Where exactly is Pikeview? Is Pikeview the pond off of Garden of the Gods west of Nevada? I run the trail there a lot and usually see a lot of people fishing there - didn't know anything of decent size was in there.

_colorado

·
Registered
179 Posts
I fish Pikeview all the time. Fun place to go after work. My son caught a huge carp on a white curly tail grub. It was a nice fight on his Zebco!

ePic have you actually seen anyone pull bass out of there? I have heard they are there but have never seen one. I did see a guy catch a walleye or saugeye out there with is flyrod. That was pretty cool.

If you ever see a maroon Dakota with a BASS sticker in the back window look for me. I'll be chucking lures from the area along the bike trail.

·
Premium Member
10,399 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I have not seen or caught anything but trout there. I have seen some dead carp along the banks. I also seen some carp jumping out on the water. I was talking to a lady fishing it the same day that I was there and she said he just caught 2 pike off the dock with some minnows, so I guess I'll be trying minnows next time I head out. With water tempatures warming up the crappie and bass should move in under those docks so hopefully I'll catch one sooner or later but everyone I talk to down there swears that they are in the lake.
Yes Pikeview is the pond you run by on garden of the gods and nevada, you have to park on the mark dabling side unless you want to run there and fish then run back.

·
Premium Member
10,399 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Oh and a side note, I released all those trout so that 18" is still there. =P

·
Registered
179 Posts
My son caught a 15lb (weighed) carp there. We let her go also. I like fishing there but I don't think I would keep anything from that lake. Nor would I keep anything from Quail or Prospect (once open again). To much going on around those lakes for me to feel comfortable.

·
Premium Member
10,399 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
wmccree I have a bright yellow tackle box thing, if you see me down there stop by and say hi or something. Name is Rick, always glad to talk to anyone on shore. I'm not there alot but if I start catching something besides trout I'll probably be there alot more.

·
Registered
2,885 Posts
EPic-You da man. You gotta be on a first name basis with most all the fish that swim in that pond!! Keep up the good work and let me know if you ever get into any bass. I heard there are some in there. Ed

·
Registered
8 Posts
I took my son fishing there several times last year. We caught a 3 pound catfish out of there. That was sure a fight on ultra-light tackle. He thought that was the best!

B

·
0 Posts
ePiC said:
I have not seen or caught anything but trout there.  I have seen some dead carp along the banks.  I also seen some carp jumping out on the water. ???I was talking to a lady fishing it the same day that I was there and she said he just caught 2 pike off the dock with some minnows, so I guess I'll be trying minnows next time I head out.  With water tempatures warming up the crappie and bass should move in under those docks so hopefully I'll catch one sooner or later but everyone I talk to down there swears that they are in the lake. 
Yes Pikeview is the pond you run by on garden of the gods and nevada, you have to park on the mark dabling side unless you want to run there and fish then run back. 

tere are pike in there?

·
Registered
417 Posts
Last time I fished Pikeview I saw a 10-12" Largemouth Bass with his whole back covered in fungus. I am still trying for my first Muskie, I am bringing water dogs next time out!

·
Premium Member
10,399 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
dogbreath said:
I really don't think there are pike in there, only tigers.
This is correct there are no pike in Pikeview, just tiger musky.

·
Registered
1,142 Posts
I've had good success with night crawlers. Limited out every time but one. Have also caught trout on kastmasters, power bait, and panther martin.
Good luck !

·
Registered
49 Posts
I would reccommend the north dock by the rip rap. I got three hooks on salmon eggs one of them was a 15" Cutbow I had him about 3 ft from the dock when my line broke. I also hooked them on a Green rooster tail. Kind of a good day since I had alot of hooks but bad because they all got away.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts