Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I got up early today and drove to Deckers. The weather forecast had been for cool temps with rain and chance of snow so I figured a BWO hatch might be on for this morning. I was on the water at 8:00 with overcast skies, light intermittant snow and mist and temps in the low 30's. I fished a size 18 BH flash back pheasant tail above an 18 BWO emerger with a split shot and yarn strike indicator. I hooked and landed a 19" rainbow in the first ten minutes. This was the largest trout I have personally ever caught in my life. I don't know who was more tired... the fish or me. He was literally larger than my net and hung over the end of the net frame. He had taken the bead head. After releasing him I hooked another rainbow which I played for several minutes and then lost when the hook came out. He was larger than the first fish. Actually, he was so big that when the strike occured and I set the hook he hardly moved off the river bottom. I could tell it was a fish but the weight and lack of movement half convinced me it was a snag. When he did move it was an awesome sight. I know that being excited can make a fish seem pretty big but he was in sight several times in the next few minutes and was certainly larger than the first fish I had caught. Another trout, smaller than the first two but still quite large was also hooked and lost after jumping two times. The last one was a brown trout. All three fish were hooked within a space of 45 minutes or so and then the activity ceased. I left the river at 10:00 to go to work and never did see any BWO hatch take place but I expect later today something will probably occur. This was one of the best days fishing I've ever had in regards to the quality of the fish I hooked.

·
Registered
2,678 Posts
Nice report...theres nothing quite like setting up on a fish and not feeling it budge and inch...

·
Registered
44 Posts
Nice report EdwardS, love it when I set up on a snag and start trying to pop it loose only to have it start moving up stream on me.LOL
That will get your heart going!

·
Registered
171 Posts
I wouldn't say that area is doing well after the fire, I just think that all the fish run down stream from the canyon after the water goes up. It still has so much silt in that section. I still get really sad when I fish around those parts, remembering how amazing it use to be. Did you fish right below Wigwam or further down? The canyon is rebounding some what from the fire but with so much pressure in that area it will be hard to overcome. Still huge ones up that way. Last time we were in the canyon we crushed! Caught so many large trout, I was wondering if any small ones make it?

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
blackcanyon said:
I wouldn't say that area is doing well after the fire, I just think that all the fish run down stream from the canyon after the water goes up.  It still has so much silt in that section. I still get really sad when I fish around those parts, remembering how amazing it use to be.  Did you fish right below Wigwam or further down?  The canyon is rebounding some what from the fire but with so much pressure in that area it will be hard  to overcome. Still huge ones up that way. Last time we were in the canyon we crushed! Caught so many large trout, I was wondering if any small ones make it?
I was fishing below the first parking area (just before the hill). It was kind of funny that there were no smaller fish hitting. Recently the only small fish I've caught here have all looked like stockers. Have they stocked there?

·
Registered
171 Posts
Over the course of 2006, they will recieve 15,000 rainbows of 5'inchs and 10,000 browns of 5 inches all the way up to wigwam. I hope they can figure out the best way to restore the lower section? It will take some true wisdom to get all that silt out! The upper canyon was virtually uneffected.

Its a special place, I hope in the future it will be takin care of by all who fish it. It is so close to Denver it seems to have little chance of fighting for itself. I make it a rule never to fish it under 150cfs and to wade as little as possible. I also stay on all trails and never blaze wildy from spot to spot, like I might on say the Poudre which is virtually untouched by waiters.

I been taught so much from that river, I believe I atleast owe it my respect...

1 - 7 of 7 Posts