Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
With just a few hours to spare before the wintery storm front arrived, I made a mad dash to the lake. While the walleye were all undersized, not so with the crappie. Got off the lake just as the rain set in, which is now turning to snow. Tossed back most of the slabs, pocketing a few for dinner.

Attachments

·
Registered
16,693 Posts
i got my grass cut and finished the weed-whacking just b4 the storm!

·
Registered
11,176 Posts
Just finished shoveling. Looks like a little more than a foot with two foot drifts. Nothing like spring in the Rockies.

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Nice catches. We've got six inches of snow already. Which is more than enough.
Thanks. With the water dropping and the front coming in, I had my doubts, but the fish were cooperative. Just wish I could find the larger walleyes. I hate turning back those 16 and 17" fish. They are healthy and fat, even if short.

·
Registered
245 Posts
Nice mess of crappie, that's good eating for sure. Not that it matters but it appears the big crappie is a white crappie even though he is very dark colored, the ones in the live well that I can see are also whites. The best way to tell for sure is to count the spines on the dorsal fin; 6 or less is a white 7 or more is a black, nice catch either way.

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Nice mess of crappie, that's good eating for sure. Not that it matters but it appears the big crappie is a white crappie even though he is very dark colored, the ones in the live well that I can see are also whites. The best way to tell for sure is to count the spines on the dorsal fin; 6 or less is a white 7 or more is a black, nice catch either way.
Thanks. Yes, mainly whites with a couple blacks in the mix. Funny, usually it's mainly blacks and the whites are harder to find. Either way they fry up nicely. I would still rather eat walleye though!

·
Registered
245 Posts
Palerider, You are right about eating walleye, they are the best by far and I've never had a bad one even some well over 20" were just great. Thanks for sharing your catch.

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Thanks guys. Just find you some trees in areas where bait is blowing in. Focus on about 15' down to find the fish. Some of the best trees are not visible from the surface. Remember not to touch the trees you're fishing. They may scatter if you do. Use 1/16 to 1/32 jig heads with the standard fare, little jig bodies with wiggly tails. Up the game by employing Crappie Nibbles. Never leave home without them.

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Good advice, they are all stacked up in the brush rn I caught one just about baby every cast
I saw your post! Nice fishing! Last fall, I was surprised to find them on the shorelines with the tumbleweeds lining the wind-swept banks, in rather exposed areas, as opposed to the secluded coves, which is where I usually look.

Just had the crappie dinner tonight and it was good. Can't wait 'til my days off this week. And don't forget to mess with the walleye, they are biting well too!

·
Registered
33 Posts
Good advice, they are all stacked up in the brush rn I caught one just about baby every cast
I saw your post! Nice fishing! Last fall, I was surprised to find them on the shorelines with the tumbleweeds lining the wind-swept banks, in rather exposed areas, as opposed to the secluded coves, which is where I usually look.

Just had the crappie dinner tonight and it was good. Can't wait 'til my days off this week. And don't forget to mess with the walleye, they are biting well too!
I think I have the crappie pretty well figured out but I've just never had much luck with walleye. I haven't targeted them yet on the kayak or else I might have caught more by now. I've caught a few off the shore but for the most part I'll fish all day and catch 1 maybe 2 walleye. Next time I'm out there I'll try fishing some points and rock ledges from the kayak and see what turns up. Nothing Better than a crappie dinner! I can't wait to cook mine up.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts