Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
699 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OK I need some help from you guys I have four days to go camping and flyfishing here in Colorado and I am trying to decide where to go.

I would like someplace that has small freestone streams and beaver ponds aswell as possible lakes or rivers close by any one have any ideas.

oh yeah and I want to camp in a dispersed area not in an organized campground

·
Registered
3,730 Posts
Guess I am dense in that I don't know what you mean by freestone streams.

Gore Pass area has dispersed camping, beaver ponds, and lakes all nearby.

·
Registered
699 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
basically streams that are as natural as can be in Colorado

·
P I K E
10,117 Posts
Az, I know this is on the other side of the planet from where you're at but take a look at Middle Park-North Park via HWY 125. Look it up on Google map and follow it from where 125 starts off 40 just west of Granby going north. You have Willow Creek, Pass Creek and prolly a hundred more along the way with primitive campgrounds up the Hwy. There are lakes up that way also, if you continue north to Rand take road 27 north you can find Meadow Creek Reservoir and follow 14 into Walden where more great and beautiful areas are! Long azz trip but you won't be disappointed!

·
Registered
11,176 Posts
Depends upon the time of the year...When are you going?

Platora Reservoir would be a good choice..free camping right on the lake..hikes to high mountain lakes...the reservoir..great place for a yak or tube..and a couple of good rivers right there in your backyard..

·
Registered
11,847 Posts
There is a great camping area above Clear Creek Reservoir. Clear creek is fun to fish above and below, the Ark headwaters are minutes away, the lake is fun and twin is too... Forebay is close and there are countless small streams to fish if you just look at the map near there.

·
Registered
11,176 Posts
You could also check out Pagosa Springs. You have the San Juan..the Piedra and Williams Creek both freestone and also Williams Reservoir. Run off starts and ends sooner on the Piedra than most Colorado rivers..Beautiful place.

·
Registered
699 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
damnit lol you guys are giving me to many choices I want to go the last week of june

·
Registered
11,176 Posts

·
Registered
699 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thank you all for the advice I have decided to go to taylor park area and camp up texas creek area
any tips ftom those of you that have camped up there

·
Registered
239 Posts
The area can be nice as long as you don't get a ton of OHVers. Plenty of Pike in the inlet area so bring your pontoon; some good lakers if you're a versatile flyfisherman. There is a reservoir located on the loop west of Taylor called Spring Creek? Used to be some great fishing but it's been a few years since I've been there. Might be another tourist spot these days. You will have the Taylor River to yourself (and me lol) in the evening when all the tourists have had their fill of looking but not catching fish. Most leave by 5.
If it was me, I would make the trek into the black canyon. Take one of the trails down; Ute, Duncan, Bobcat, Chukar, Warren, Tomichi, and more off the north rim. Few people, no tent, light bag and tarp just in case it spits. You can also head down East Portal, wade across, do the up and over, and go down river until the canyon or common sense says no further.

·
Registered
301 Posts
Yep, 4 wheelers have spoiled that area for me - just too dang many of them. But everybody has to go somewhere. Texas Creek has lots of fish, just not a lot of size on them, and it's beautiful up about 5 miles, but kind of a rough ride if you're in a regular truck like we were.

·
Registered
699 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
thanks guys and slab if you are up there the 29-30-1-2 of june look for my big as grey dodge with shell and lots of gun related stickers on back window

1 - 16 of 16 Posts