Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
5,365 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Went out again tonight, this time using circle hooks. Wanted to do a comparison between fishing with Kahle hooks and a bait-clicker vs. a circle hook tight lined.

See this thread for Kahle hook fishing report:

http://www.coloradofisherman.com/forum/57-out-state-fishing-reports/105337-3-3-a.html

Anyway, excellent 45 minute outing tonight. Got 4 fish on 5 casts-- biggest was right at 5 pounds. I would have been 4 for 4, but I thought a fish had committed that had not. Raised the rod, reeled, and he wasn't quite on, so I lost him.

The circle hook:

The hookset (on basically all 4 fish):

Some fish pix:

In conclusion, while the bait-clicker is awesome, I will be using my circle hooks from now on when fishing for cats. As you all know, you don't "set the hook" with circles, you allow the fish to get the point in the corner of the mouth, tug a bit, then raise the rod tip to drive it home. To use a bait-clicker would basically attempt a defacto "hookset" by clicking off the secondary drag, adding tension quickly--- similar to a standard hookset.

Tonight, I am sleeping well, knowing all the fish I caught and released will be happy and eating tomorrow.

·
Registered
5,365 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks guys!

Yea, its a blast fishing out here... I fish alot and I haven't had a skunk day yet. I bombed at Center Hill lake, but hit another lake on the way home and caught some gills and a bass.

The warm-water fishing here is epic, and I haven't even got my boat yet. September will be an interesting month....

·
Registered
11,877 Posts
Nice!! I'd be releasing some channel cats into hot grease if I were you!! Glad you're making lemonade!

·
Registered
5,365 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks Don. :)

And about frying some cats, I ABSOLUTELY will be frying some cats once I can find a consistent source on public waters. This pond behind my house is an awesome spot for trying out gear, rigs, catching multiple species of size, and getting my fish on after work. But I release all fish from the pond. I bet there's a couple hundred cats in there, but if I kept 4-5 every week, it wouldn't be long before there were no more kitties to catch after dark.

Also, when I get into the big tail waters, I will be fishing for trophies, so I want to be sure I can safely land and release them. That's kind of why I wanted to test out different hooks and rigs... Find the best method for hookup and fish safety.

Its like my little evil laboratory. :evil:

·
Registered
5,365 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Well, circle hooks aren't perfect.

Caught this little guy tonight on a piece of hot dog, marinated in liver juice... Only a pound and a half. He got the business end of the hook through his eye socket. He lived... but he's now a pirate.

I feel kinda bad about this one... but he swam away, PISSED OFF... So I guess he'll make it.

Good news is, there are multiple generations in this pond... This is the smallest I've caught. At least they're breeding, since the owner does not regularly stock this pond.

·
Registered
107 Posts
Well, circle hooks aren't perfect.

Caught this little guy tonight on a piece of hot dog, marinated in liver juice... Only a pound and a half. He got the business end of the hook through his eye socket. He lived... but he's now a pirate.

I feel kinda bad about this one... but he swam away, PISSED OFF... So I guess he'll make it.

Good news is, there are multiple generations in this pond... This is the smallest I've caught. At least they're breeding, since the owner does not regularly stock this pond.
nice catches Owen
In this pond with the smaller cats
To prevent that from happening us smaller circle hooks for the smaller cats.
2/0 and 3/0
You can also us larger baits so the smaller cats cannot eat the bait.

·
Registered
5,365 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks Daris. I will do just that. I think I still have a pack of the circles I bought to try on carp... 2/0 I think.

Appreciate the tip.

·
Registered
568 Posts
Nice I like circle hooks for cats as well but I'm no expert on cattin'. Looks like you have it figured out quite well.

·
Registered
5,365 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
No, just a novice standing on the shoulders of giants. I know how to read and research and enjoy doing it. Find those who have what you want and do as they do. :)

·
Registered
5,365 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Not so good a night tonight.

No livers, out of liver juice... All I had were plain ass hot dogs. I rolled them in garlic powder and headed out. Had one bump and that was it. Changed baits several times, but they weren't havin' it.

Catfish: 1
Garlic Hot Dogs: 0

·
Registered
6,684 Posts
Not so good a night tonight.

No livers, out of liver juice... All I had were plain ass hot dogs. I rolled them in garlic powder and headed out. Had one bump and that was it. Changed baits several times, but they weren't havin' it.

Catfish: 1
Garlic Hot Dogs: 0
If your gunna use hotdogs use the cheesy hot dogs!! :)

·
Registered
5,365 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
^^^:thumb:^^^

However... if I have time to go buy cheesy dogs, I'll probably just buy livers. ;)

1 - 16 of 16 Posts