Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
193 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am getting a new fly rod for pike and am woundering what you guys think as far as 2 VS 4 piece rods

·
Registered
1,768 Posts
there is no real differance between the two, Price & travel should be about the only reason to choose one or the other

·
Premium Member
10,399 Posts
4 piece if you are back packing it in 2 piece if you arent.... The reasons would be anytime there is a break in the rod you lose sensitivity. However, with the modern technology the loss is very minimal. And if you are targetting pike you do not need a sensitive rod. My recommendation would be to find one that you like how it casts dont worry about 2 or 4 piece.

·
Registered
301 Posts
I hate this 4-piece revolution that has taken place. Many rods can't even be purchased as two-piece any more. (Orvis, for one example). Yes, they're handy when flying somewhere, and I have a few for that, but otherwise they're a pain in the ***. Three connections to put together and take apart instead of one. Too many parts and pieces. And they just look crappy too. :(

One thing I'm now doing is using two-piece rod cases to carry my 4-piece rods, and only taking them apart in the middle for storage/transport. But I still don't like 4 pieces of plastic put together to make my rod.

I protect my older two-piece Light Lines with my life. Ebay is my friend too. (lots of great two-piece buys)

·
Registered
1,750 Posts
My new ZXL is the first four piece rod I have purchased for competition. I was stuck in the 2 piece mind set for many years...the extra weight, the break in the rod...but they have ended the fear in my head with the new Generation 5. Light, powerful, forgiving, feels like a dream.

most of my rods are tow piece.

S

·
0 Posts
There used to be a difference in feel between 2 & 4pc rods, but with modern ferrule designs even a 7pc feels like a 2pc. Like others said, 4pc for travel 2pc if its sittin at home.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts