Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
285 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well I purchased my Dodge 2500 diesel last year with the thought of putting a camper on it while towing my boat, due to financial reasons I can't afford the camper and can't justify keeping the truck as a grocery getter. Truck is sitting on a dealers lot on a co-signment and I am looking at a few different Toyota 4-Runners 1990-1995 for a fishing / grocery getter. Anyone have any experience with them that they could share with me? I am looking at the 3.0 6 cylinder with an automatic.

·
Registered
978 Posts
I had a 91 4-runner w/3 liter, put 250,000 miles on it and it still ran strong. Did have to do some minor work to clutch and brakes but other than that it was a great vehicle. I wish I still had it.

·
Registered
285 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
bassboy said:
I had a 91 4-runner w/3 liter, put 250,000 miles on it and it still ran strong. Did have to do some minor work to clutch and brakes but other than that it was a great vehicle. I wish I still had it.
Thank you for the input. There is a guy in Florence selling a 1990, 3.0 liter, automatic only 146,000 miles for $3500 so I am thinking of making an offer.

·
Registered
2,272 Posts
I love my '96 4runner Limited. 188,000 hard-earned miles and she still gets the same 20mpg she started at. My hunting buddies affectionately named her "The Mule"......a well earned moniker as you can see from just the workout we gave her today.

·
Registered
7,407 Posts
solesearcher34 said:
I love my '96 4runner Limited. 188,000 hard-earned miles and she still gets the same 20mpg she started at. My hunting buddies affectionately named her "The Mule"......a well earned moniker as you can see from just the workout we gave her today.

The lift looks good, even with your fat cop friend in there weighing it down.

·
Registered
5,941 Posts
if you can bump up to the 3.4 motor i would, the 3.0 is a good motor but here are some things to look for, head gaskets were recalled on many of those models, make sure the one your buying has been fixed, if it has more than 100,000 miles you will want to replace the timing chain, also the power steering seems to have alot more issues than the newer models, the 22-re was a better option of motors during that era of trucks, with what you loose in power it makes up for it on reliability! hope this helps!

·
Registered
285 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thank you , what to watch out for is exactly what I am looking for. Great picture Solesearcher.

·
Super Moderator
1,394 Posts
denverbassman said:
if you can bump up to the 3.4 motor i would, the 3.0 is a good motor but here are some things to look for, head gaskets were recalled on many of those models, make sure the one your buying has been fixed, if it has more than 100,000 miles you will want to replace the timing chain, also the power steering seems to have alot more issues than the newer models, the 22-re was a better option of motors during that era of trucks, with what you loose in power it makes up for it on reliability! hope this helps!
X2, I've owned two 3.0's (3VZE), a 2.4 (22RE) and now I have a tacoma with the 3.4 (5VZE)...The 3.0 is one of the worst engines Toyota made IMO (its pretty slow, has headgasket problems, etc). The 2.4 is a MUCH more reliable motor, however its about 40-50 HP less, and is painfully slow! They started making the 5VZE in 1995.5, and if you can afford it, I highly recommend getting a 96+ model with the 3.4 V6. Much more power and very reliable!

·
Registered
4,731 Posts
My 99' 4 has 250k miles. Nough said cept it's been paid for for years. I'm keepin it. Sold my ATV to help the ex with vehicle problems. It's a Toyota...kept it sold the Honda ATV, go figure.

·
Registered
594 Posts
I've got a 1985 4Runner with a 4" lift and I believe it stopped counting miles at 216,000 about.. 7 years ago. The thing still runs like a champ, and now that I've got my new family car (Honda Pilot), hopefully I can start putting some more work into making it a mountain goat.

4Runners are amazing, and if I could afford one, I'd definitely be buying myself a newer one to give the oldy a companion.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts