Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
1,106 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
My wife, 3 daughters, dog, and I headed to the Flattops Friday mid day around 2:30pm, the temperature at the house was already 92f. Two hours later we arrived at our camp spot....64f...:thumb: Setup camp, cracked open a beer and kicked back while the girls went out and explored! Satuday morning around 5:30am I crawled out of the tent, hopped on the 4wheeler and headed down to my favorite little brookie hole. Tried every thing under the sun, small kastys, PM, mepps, blue foxes, small rapalas, flies behind a clear bubble, even dug up a worm and couldn't get a bite. While digging in my tackle bag I found a unopened pack of Trout Magnets, I figured what the hell nothing else is working. So I tied it on under my bubble and through it out. It wasn't in the water for more then 5 seconds and fish on! I fished for another hour or so, must of caught 30+. I kept my limit and headed back to camp for breakfast, brookies and eggs fried in bacon grease! After breakfast we got on the 4wheelers and headed out for the day. Seen some beautiful country, and found a few more brookie holes. All in all a pretty awesome 4th away from the heat with the fam! Can't wait to do it again!

·
Registered
1,863 Posts
That's so funny, half way through your post I was thinking man he should of tried trout magnets and low and behold I read the rest of the post! I use trout magnets for several different species!!! They are awesome!

·
Registered
11,848 Posts
Absolutely great post... thanks man

·
Registered
24,634 Posts
Great thread thanks!...I love the flattops...the most beautiful region in Colorado IMO!

·
Registered
1,106 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
Another highlight of the weekend was in Sunday morning. I went back down to the lake, not quite as early. There was a guy and his 3yr old son already there. I started catching fish right of the bat. After the 3rd or 4th fish the man came over to see what I was using. It was obvious that he didn't know much about fishing, but he wanted to get his son his first fish. He said they were using powerbait and had been there for over an hour with out a bite. I had a couple extra bubbles and another pack of trout magnets so I gave them to him and showed him how I had it rigged. I explained to him about how spooky brookies were and to stay low and out of sight as much as possible. About 5 minutes later I hear some celebrating from across the lake and look over just in time to see his boy drag his first fish up the bank! They gave me a thumbs up and a wave, I returned the gesture and headed back to camp.

·
Registered
1,106 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Nice work! I was up there this weekend as well, it's great getting out of the heat! Skeeters are gettin bad though...
Yeah my youngest got hammered by them! She had repellent dripping off her and they still got to her! I'm lucky in that they just don't like me, I didn't get bit once, they would swarm around me but that's it.

·
Registered
2,180 Posts
LOVE the Flattops!

Nice pics, thanks for sharing.

·
Registered
3,945 Posts
Pretty fish! Thought about going up there with my son this year.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts