Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone out there know of any good 4x4 trails that lead to some out of the way fishing spots in the Front Range area? I'm looking to jump in the Jeep and get away from the masses...Thanks. ;D

·
Registered
6,797 Posts
how rough a 4X4 trail you looking for?

there are a few near buena vista. not very tough stock jeep is fine.

like pomeroy and ptarmigan you still have to walk a bit but nice trails. if your into more hard core you shouls try the como lake trail but dont go unless your prepared for breakage, also its down by blanca peak

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yeah I'm not looking for anything too wild and crazy.. Just something to get away from some of the people. It's my daily driver, so if I break it there is a good chance my wife will kill me in my sleep. :eek:

·
Registered
6,797 Posts
theres a few books out there call "colorado offroad trails" or something like that i found then at my local BLM/national forest office and while they arnt aimed at fishermen several of the mild trails take you by lakes and in these parts most of them have fish

ill see if i can dig em up and give you the right name

·
Premium Member
10,399 Posts
I like the pomeroy trail (in stock jeep), I went over a holiday weekend last year and camped there only saw a couple people there and had the lake to ourselves for a while but at 12,250 ft there probably is still alot of snow up there. I love the 4wd trail books they sell alot of information, the problem is they are 4wd enthusists and not fisherman so its hard to find some good ones.

Here is a link to my report on the lake, so you can see what the trail looks like. http://www.coloradofisherman.com/forum/index.php?topic=3307.0

·
Registered
67 Posts
Anoter good lake to get to that you need a 4x4 is Clohesy Lake. Its also up by Buena Vista. If you go up past Clear Creek Res. there is a road that cuts off to the left (south) and there are some old cabins and such there. The road goes down past them and then accross the creek. Its a mile or two up to the parking for the lake. About a 1/4 mile to the lake from the parking spot. Its a cool lake. There is a cabin that overlooks the lake. I guess it used to be a fish hatchery or something.
Just a hint of warning though stay to the left of the creek crossing and make sure the water is not to high for your 4x4. You might want to get out and wade it first if you are unsure. There is a big hole to the right you want to stay out of. It's been a few years but I took my Wrangler up it when it was near stock.

·
Premium Member
10,399 Posts
jwtrapper said:
Anoter good lake to get to that you need a 4x4 is Clohesy Lake.
jwtrapper, is it cutthroat fishing or just rainbows?

I also forgot you can pick up a Colorado Atlas & Gazetteer at almost any walmart, book store, or whatever. It is definately a good buy lists alot of Forest Roads, Jeep trails, and hiking trails in Wilderness areas to get to some remote lakes.

·
Registered
6,797 Posts
hey we should get a few of use jeepers to gether for a 4X4 fishing weekend (no tacomas allowed) ::)

·
Premium Member
10,399 Posts
roadkill said:
hey we should get a few of use jeepers to gether for a 4X4 fishing weekend (no tacomas allowed) ::)
I'm down, but I'd say any 4wder is welcome its not fun unless we have to unstuck a tacoma. >:D

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Good info....Thanks guys..! I'd be up for hittin' some trails that lead to a fishin' hole. That would be a blast..!What do you have in mind?

·
Registered
6,797 Posts
ePiC said:
roadkill said:
I'm down, but I'd say any 4wder is welcome its not fun unless we have to unstuck a tacoma. >:D
ok im good with that

·
Registered
6,797 Posts
id like to see a sat-sun trip meet at a trail head sat morn drive in do some fishing then tell stories into the night catch the sun morn bite and drive out

how bout the last weekend in june the 3/4 weekend. near buena vista are

ill bring the roadkill special (78 ford pickup (tough enough to survive the impact and plenty of room to cart it home)) and will have room for atleast one rider if someone doesnt have access to a 4X$ dont let that stop you this would be a great way to beet the heat. ill dig out the 4X$ books and post some sugested trails.

anyone else?

·
Premium Member
10,399 Posts
roadkill said:
How is the snowpack in that area? Most lakes with trails in this area are above 12000ft, are we going to need some snoe shoes? Personally 3/4 is not enough notice but I'd love to hear about the adventure. If we push it to the end of the month Im sure I can make it, just worried that my tires may be a little to bald. (only one way to find out)

·
Registered
6,797 Posts
ePiC said:
roadkill said:
How is the snowpack in that area? Most lakes with trails in this area are above 12000ft, are we going to need some snoe shoes? Personally 3/4 is not enough notice but I'd love to hear about the adventure. If we push it to the end of the month Im sure I can make it, just worried that my tires may be a little to bald. (only one way to find out)
i was a little tired when i made that post i ment last weekend which would be 24th and 25th

sorry bout that guys

jwtrapper said:
If I can get the time off I will go.

I've done a little work to the jeep since you saw it last roadkill.

dang trapper thats looking good i hope to be starting a new 4X4 project soon ill post pics of before during and after if i evr finish

·
Registered
16,618 Posts
I've ALWAYS found that any high lake you can drive to is pretty beat. Not to say the 4 wheeling aspect isn't fun,just the fishing leaves a little to be desired. 3 to 4 mile walk is usually needed.

·
Premium Member
10,399 Posts
SLAYERFISH said:
I've ALWAYS found that any high lake you can drive to is pretty beat. Not to say the 4 wheeling aspect isn't fun,just the fishing leaves a little to be desired. 3 to 4 mile walk is usually needed.
Early in the season there aren't many that venture to the high lakes.

·
Registered
6,797 Posts
ive been to some that you can drive to with in less than half mile and while the fish arnt big there are plenty of them. like hermit for example some time catching 100 12" is more fun then hunting down a 5#cut

·
Premium Member
10,399 Posts
roadkill said:
ive been to some that you can drive to with in less than half mile and while the fish arnt big there are plenty of them. like hermit for example some time catching 100 12" is more fun then hunting down a 5#cut
This can be true sometimes, but the only time I really care about numbers is when Im taking microdudes and want them to catch fish. Otherwise I'd take a 4 hour trip to catch 1 huge cut over 100 stocker rainbows. However I'm down for a group 4wd trip at the end of the month.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts