Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all. Havent posted in years but when I catch a 5 pounder at a place not called the arsenal or a stocked farm pond or other giant well known fishery, i get a little stoked. Been fishing the front range for 15 years and catch a good amount of 17-19 inch bass all over the front range. Lots of 3-4 pounders. But once in a great while, a 5 pounder comes my way. Rare as hell but I Just landed a really beautiful 5.1 pounder last night. 22.5 inches.

Right before the 5 pounder hit I had caught a 12 incher, looked in its mouth, and saw a crawdad antenna sticking out of it's throat. I switch rods. Went from a worm to a black and blue jig. 2 casts later.. BOOM! Incredible fight. It was like a friend of mine was down at the bottom of the lake messing with me, pulling my line. I thought it had to be a 2 pounder with a bunch of vegetation on her, weighing her down. BUT THEN SHE STARTED PULLING!

After 10 seconds I knew I had to loosen the drag a little. Zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz! When I did loosen it just a tiny bit she took my line and sped off like a bank robber. I just couldnt muscle her in with 8 pound test. I had to let her run. I kept pressure on her but let her run. When she stopped, I reeled. Then shed take off with my line again. Half a dozen times this happened. Sometimes it felt like she wrapped me up in a tree or something but she didn't, she was just that strong.

I had no net and when she got close she'd dive and hightail it towards the deeper water the second she saw me. I'd reach for her huge bottom lip when she was real close with one hand, while holding the rod in the other and she'd take off, mad and scared as hell. Kept thinking I'd lose her. Finally got my thumb in that bucketmouth and felt her weight. A total Donkey! Had her back in the water ASAP but got a pic or two. Measured her and weighed her. Anyway, happy fall fishing!

5poundbass.jpg

·
Registered
3,945 Posts
Hey, I know that sky! :p Nice bass!

·
Registered
11,847 Posts
Very nice write up... nice fish!

·
Registered
24,568 Posts
If anything it's light...In-Fisherman has a 22 inch largie at 6.22 pounds and 23 incher at 7.17 lbs

Nice work getting that hoss in!

·
Registered
16,630 Posts
Sorry but I ain't about to be wooed by someones' 1st post. Its only a green carp anyway-

·
Registered
1,674 Posts
I was gonna say, only 5.1 for a 22.5" LMB seems underweight.

Nice fish anyway!

That fish is fat, but for a big ol' bass seems a little lean. I'll bet his scale was right at 5.1. In fisherman has the length to weight estimations based on bass that aren't Colorado Bass. I wonder if closer to the spawn that fish was more football like.

Donkey Hunter doesn't seem like to bad a guy givin he's from Boulder. And Slayer is just uptight because someone else posted up a heck of a stiff arm mug shot.

·
Registered
16,630 Posts
That fish is fat, but for a big ol' bass seems a little

Donkey Hunter doesn't seem like to bad a guy givin he's from Boulder. And Slayer is just uptight because someone else posted up a heck of a stiff arm mug shot.
Oh puhleeze-:rolleyes:

1 - 20 of 26 Posts