Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
11,844 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Koldkut shared this review with me. I have read their reviews of 5 wts and 8 wts in the past and they are good reviews. Check it out.

http://www.yellowstoneangler.com/FlyRodReview.Best5weightflyrod.HardyZenith.SageZ-axis.WinstonB3x.WinstonBIIIx.LoomisNRX.SageVXP.StCroixLegendEliteTempleforkBVK.asp

Also, I have considered for some time now having a get together to cast rods. Maybe a good breakfast, then a trip to a park with a bunch of us from here. Take a few rods and we could test em out... May be fun.

I still love the Winston BIIx, but can't wait to try all the rods at ISE. I casted the new VXP and didn't care for it much...just tooooooo stiff for me.

Anyhow, thanks for the link Andrew, good read.

·
Registered
1,080 Posts
What a bunch of Scott bashers! I think anybody who has fished the S4 knows it's not too fast to fish with, and would call this article entirely based on personal prejudice. Point being...they are all good rods, fish what ya like, and ultimately it ain't the arrow it's the indian. (though sharp arrows help) >:D

·
Registered
11,844 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
PescadoDiablo4 said:
What a bunch of Scott bashers! I think anybody who has fished the S4 knows it's not too fast to fish with, and would call this article entirely based on personal prejudice. Point being...they are all good rods, fish what ya like, and ultimately it ain't the arrow it's the indian. (though sharp arrows help) >:D
I absolutely knew this was coming!!! No A3 either...

·
Registered
5,983 Posts
Oyey said:
PescadoDiablo4 said:
The S4 IS too stiff. The A3 is pretty nice though. >:D
(I am far from the sharpest Indian at the pow-wow.....that is without question.)

·
Registered
11,844 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
human cannonball said:
Oyey said:
PescadoDiablo4 said:
The S4 IS too stiff. The A3 is pretty nice though. >:D
(I am far from the sharpest Indian at the pow-wow.....that is without question.)
What is weird to me is they say the S4 is too stiff, but go on to talk pertty highly about the VXP and TCX which are both stiffer.

I think the article is good, but should be taken with a grain of salt. They are shop owners and pretty clearly favor certain brands.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Just took up fly fishing and went with a Cabela's L-tech 6wt. Are they made for Cabela's by Sage? I noticed a few Sage rods made this article. Thanks for sharing. Definitely a learning curve with what is available out there for rods.

·
Registered
1,768 Posts
I had a scott eclipes, A good friend broke the rod. He was freaking out, and I was happy beyond belief.
I never got another, never will.
Sage is another I won't WASTE my $$ again
Hardy, Hardy, Hardy has brought peace

·
Registered
129 Posts
I like the review and always learn a lot about different brands but choosing a rod still comes down to going the shop and casting each rod and seeing what feels right for your casting style.

You should not purchase golf clubs or fishing rods by brand. In the case of fly rods only casting will tell you what rod is going to be right for you.

·
The Mayor
2,101 Posts
Met up with the boys from TFO again today at the Texas Fishing Show. They have another new flyrod out, super light, super fast, and really tough. The new BVK series rods are SWEET.

TFO rocks the flyrod world, offering anything a fly fisherman could want, in every price range. They have the best warranty in the business, I'll stick with TFO.....

BHR 8)

1 - 12 of 12 Posts