Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
1,128 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was fishing Chatfield Saturday morning and I swear some of the ski boats were purposely swamping the boat. As we were leaving I spoke with the boat patrol and they said they boats must give you 50 yrds of space. He said if they are not get the boat number and notify the office. FYI

·
Registered
2,878 Posts
People drive their boats the way they drive their cars and unfortunately there are alot of rude agressive drivers out there. You can report them but I'm guessing if the infraction isn't witnessed by a park ranger its always going to be your word against theirs and I doubt they will admit to being a yahoo.

I have fished on alot of water in alot of states-CO I think is the worst because we have such limited water to get out on. In Arkansas I can guanrantee you a rude boater would be looking at an ass whuppin back at the ramp if he pulled some of the stunts I have seen out here.

An armed society is a polite society. Ed

E

·
0 Posts
McFish said:
I was fishing Chatfield Saturday morning and I swear some of the ski boats were purposely swamping the boat.  As we were leaving I spoke with the boat patrol and they said they boats must give you 50 yrds of space.  He said if they are not get the boat number and notify the office.  FYI
I was being "boat checked" one time by a ranger at Chatfield. A big ski boat rips by about 40 feet by us more than likely exceeding the 40 mph speed limit. I asked him why they didn't go after the guy and the park ranger replied "Why are you out here today if that bothers you?" I guess he had a good point, but one would have to enter the environment knowing that they won't enforce the law, to make that decision. I suggested they post that on the ramp. He didn't like that.

·
Registered
2,878 Posts
While I have met some "good ones" alot of the park rangers I have come in contact with seem like guys who wanted to become cops but couldn't pass the physical or the brains test. Ed

·
Registered
3,014 Posts
you know i was told the same thing
get the boat number and turn it in

then he turned and said but if i were you just tie on the biggest piece of lead and throw it at them

if you hit their boat they will not come that close to you again
and if they come to me to complain about you fishing from shore i will let them know if the guy from shore can hit you your to close to the fishermen on shore

·
Registered
3,144 Posts
Gotta go up to the mountains

You've gotta go up to the mountains. Anywhere outside of the wakezone on Chatfield on a busy day is crazy IMHO. Besides, at the high altitudes all the boats run like dogs and no one can go more than 35MPH ;)

·
Registered
1,128 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Funny pposts. It is unfortunate that a good ass whoopin is illegal becuase I could apply it. I will say that these seemed concerned but who knows.

E

·
0 Posts
Re: Gotta go up to the mountains

work2fish said:
You've gotta go up to the mountains.  Anywhere outside of the wakezone on Chatfield on a busy day is crazy IMHO.  Besides, at the high altitudes all the boats run like dogs and no one can go more than 35MPH  ;)
It doesn't matter how fast you are going really.  It's all about how you are affecting others.

At Blue Mesa, the normal practice from what I can tell is to go as fast as you can around the guy trolling, then when you determine what his course is, stop your boat and start trolling in front of them.  Most of the time they misgage how far in front they should stop and you have to go around them.  Pretty annoying practice if you ask me.  But, how mad can you get at a 50-70 year old?  Plus, I just take it as a compliment that they assume I know what I'm doing.   ;D

·
Registered
3,144 Posts

EricCO said:
It doesn't matter how fast you are going really. It's all about how you are affecting others.
Of course -- and my response was really tongue in cheek. But, in general, there are fewer boaters to deal with up there, of course...

Truth is, I've lost two complete rigs (rod, reel and all) this season alone from such boaters zooming in behind me while I was trolling. The most recent one cost me about $200, too! :mad: I also think that there are truly people that do not realize, either at that moment or ever, that you have a long fishing line out of the back of your boat that they could run over. There have been times that I just stand up waving and pointing behind me and then they get the picture in the nick of time.

Just imagine what our roads would be like if there were no white lines or separators and we all were just trying to get where we need to go. The bottom line to me is the more people around, the more bad apples around.

E

·
0 Posts

work2fish said:
EricCO said:
It doesn't matter how fast you are going really.  It's all about how you are affecting others.
Of course -- and my response was really tongue in cheek.  But, in general, there are fewer boaters to deal with up there, of course...

Truth is, I've lost two complete rigs (rod, reel and all) this season alone from such boaters zooming in behind me while I was trolling.  The most recent one cost me about $200, too!  :mad:  I also think that there are truly people that do not realize, either at that moment or ever, that you have a long fishing line out of the back of your boat that they could run over.  There have been times that I just stand up waving and pointing behind me and then they get the picture in the nick of time.

Just imagine what our roads would be like if there were no white lines or separators and we all were just trying to get where we need to go.  The bottom line to me is the more people around, the more bad apples around.
Oh totally not as many people. Unfortunately I've got the walleye bug again so I'm staying low elevation. Headed to Big Mac next weekend after spending this weekend at Glendo. Hope there are a few less people. LOL Glendo really wasn't to bad for being a pre-CWA tourney weekend.

·
Registered
1,128 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I do think most do not know what they are doing but there are a select few that do and enjoy messing with you.

·
Registered
107 Posts

work2fish said:
You've gotta go up to the mountains.  Anywhere outside of the wakezone on Chatfield on a busy day is crazy IMHO.  Besides, at the high altitudes all the boats run like dogs and no one can go more than 35MPH  ;)
I have seen people break 35 all the time at altitude.

·
Registered
2,878 Posts
I will say one thing-Chatfield is not the "wilderness" experience. ;D I made the mistake of fishing it during the summer last year (during the week) and I did well early morning but was off the lake by 10:30 because of all the boats. I have no tolerance for "the crowds" anymore and I think anyone who goes to Chatfield in the summer should with the understanding that they're gonna put up with a lot of bad behavior. Thats just the way it is. Its never gonna change IMHO. I imagine Cherry Creek is the same way. Too many people, too little water. Ed

E

·
0 Posts
Ed Marcol said:
I will say one thing-Chatfield is not the "wilderness" experience.   ;D  I made the mistake of fishing it during the summer last year (during the week) and I did well early morning but was off the lake by 10:30 because of all the boats.  I have no tolerance for "the crowds" anymore and I think anyone who goes to Chatfield in the summer should with the understanding that they're gonna put up with a lot of bad behavior.  Thats just the way it is.   Its never gonna change IMHO.  I imagine Cherry Creek is the same way.  Too many people, too little water.  Ed
I actually will start to get a bit sea-sick in that chop. I can be in rollers all day on Big Mac and be fine, but you get me on Chatfield in that wake and I'll almost puke within about 10 minutes. ???

·
Registered
270 Posts
I live 5 minutes from CF and fish there all the time. I have pissed a few people off. I try to live by the rule I will have total respect for people. They should return the favor. If you can?t be respectful then you deserve what you get. I don't care if you can afford a boat that goes 500 miles an hour just be safe and have some common curtsey. It?s the golden rule thing. It rolls both ways. When I fish the dam I expect to get waked. I don?t expect to get swamped or have wake driven over my transom. CF is weird and rangers only target the easy marks and their young so they won?t bust a friend. I know if I fish there, Rangers will check my license, part of life. When I grew up here there were only 1 million people in the whole state. Now it?s pushing 3 to4 it will only get worse. I?m beginning to see why people from crowded states get attitude. I just hope people can start their interaction with respect and things should stay that way.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts