Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
358 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a hobbs creek 5wt rod..........slow action........ ive used this rod all over colorado and have landed 5-6lb fish with it.........I want to cast some heavier indicators and streamers while improving my distance......... fyi I have a sweet 8wt setup that does the job but I'm looking for a fast action 5wt..........What do you recommend that is relatively cheap? Since I have my reel spooled with WF5 and don't have a a spare spool a 6wt isn't something I'm looking for........ simply just want to know where to find a cheap but good 5wt rod? Thanks for your help

·
Registered
991 Posts

·
Registered
1,421 Posts
The BVK's are nice. If $260 falls into relatively cheap for you I say go for it. Otherwise the TFO Lefty Kreh pro or signature series would be a nice rod for $100 less. I have the signature series and I can fish heavy stoneflies or chuck weighted streamers from bank to bank most places on the Ark with it.

·
Registered
358 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Is the Orvis Clearwater a fast action rod? What are your thoughts about this one? I do like the bvk but the Clearwater is cheaper.

·
Registered
3,266 Posts
I have a 4 wt clearwater and I wouldn't call it fast. I imagine the whole line should be similar.

·
Registered
1,674 Posts
You will not go wrong with a Reddington Path. Less than $100. Best replacement service on the market.

·
Registered
592 Posts
In the 'lower priced' rods category you really can't beat TFO or Echo rods. The bargain-level rods that some manufacturers offer really don't compare in performance to equally-priced rods from these two companies, although even their 'cheapos' aren't that great. Be willing to spend $150+ and you have lots of great options.

·
Registered
4,728 Posts
Here's another suggestion.

I know you may not be able to "test drive em", which some guys swear by, but do some research online and then take a look on ebay. Some great deals can be had on some top of the line rod makers products that might be a year or so old on Ebay if your willing to spend money on a second hand rod...

Here's a few examples, not really looking at "fastness" just 5 weights:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Scott-fly-rod-Model-A3-905-4-9-0-5-line-4-piece-used-excellent-/171703150534?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item27fa4e27c6

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Sage-Flight-4-pc-590-4-Fly-Rod-5wt-9ft-1850-Reel-Combo-W-Case-R877-/351324152590?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item51cc8d230e

·
Registered
241 Posts
What is your idea of cheap? I prefer "inexpensive". LOL. You should be able to find a rod that will meet your needs from any manufacturer. I just tested a rod from Mystic and for the price I was impressed.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts