Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2,240 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I went out today to one of the spots I was at in the last report. This time I was there much later in the day. Caught a bunch of sauger and an eye with a little more size. Again, they were hitting as soon as I twitched the lure. The only lure I threw on spinning gear was the rainbow x rap and then I tried a bbz1 junior in shad with no luck on my baitcast outfit. Gotta love the x rap. It's been killing it lately, especially for sauger and trout.

·
P I K E
10,117 Posts
I was wondering the same thing, did not know we had pure sauger in Colorado.

·
Registered
2,240 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
I was wondering the same thing, did not know we had pure sauger in Colorado.
Yes, sir. They are here. Walleye also have white on their caudal fins as well. Another way to tell is saugers have a little different barring or spots. The difference in barring is more obvious when they're more mature but here's a better pic if the smaller fish I posted. You can see there's not white on the tail and the fish has some larger or more pronounced,wider bars. As you can see on the walleye, the first fish posted, it has obvious white on its tail.

·
Registered
2,240 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)
It is a crappy picture but I caught a bunch of these guys and got a good look at all of them. It is my understanding that saugeye and walleye have white on their tips, sauger do not. Not one had white tips. And is it true saugeye hardly ever occur in nature? No saugeye have been stocked in this particular water as far as I can tell so it would be hard to believe that they were in fact the exceptional hybrids. Saugeye are not mentioned anywhere in the survey summary, either. I don't know for a fact that they would be, though. Next time I go back I'll get some better pictures. Or, I could be wrong. That's always a possibility.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts