Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

21 - 24 of 24 Posts
M

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #21
Seems to me KokaneeKing is the arseanl expert, but here's what I use:

Shimano Spinning rod 6'6" medium action with a Quantum (beautiful got for my b-day) reel. I have 12lb trilene XT on that.

A Zebco spinning rob that was my first ever spinning rod so it is 8 years old. (starting to spilt at the end, making me sad) with a simple Mitchell 308 X reel and 8 pound Stren original.

Shimano baitcaster with a 7 foot medium action rod strung with 12 lb trilene XT.

the spning rods I use for bass and whatever else at Mary's and I use the baitcaster for pike at Ladora. I have no idea what I'm doing, cuz I have only caught one pike, but I use a small metal leader just in case of teeth.

PM me next tie u go ifu want llure specifics. Then we canf ish together!! haha. Not this weekend, though I'll be at Navajo.

I'm not such a fan of braided lines. Usually I just go Stren orignal, but NAFC sent me some trielene so I figured I'd use it.

·
Registered
7,704 Posts
Thanks Mustang

I'm glad I asked. My buddy just put 20lbs on his. I was thinking that was overkill (I usually use 6lbs). I'll up it to 10 or 12. I bought some 12 inch metal leaders just in case.
Thanks again.

James

·
Registered
144 Posts
Getting answers on bass behavior can be tough. I checked out some books from the library on bass fishing and found out some interesting things...

"Many anglers have long believed that dawn and dusk are prime times for bass fishing. Biologists say, however, that LM's have no preferential feeding times. They explain that the reason average anglers commonly catch more bass at dawn and dusk is because, in the low levels of light, bass are less likely to detect the clumsiness of their lure and bait presentations."

"Biologists have determined that LM's can see a wide range of colors. They also determined that the strike frequency was highest with lures that were red and white or solid yellow in color."

"According to the National Sport Fishing Foundation, in the past 20 years 80% of all state-record bass have come from bodies of water smaller than 50 acres in size with many of these fish tipping the scales at between 8 to 14 pounds."

"Given a food choice consisting of another fish species, LM's distinctly prefer elongated, soft-ray species such as those found in the minnow family.... simply because they're easier for them to swallow."

"Bass can swim, in short bursts, at 12 miles an hour... slow compared to salmon or striped bass which can achieve 20 miles an hour and snail-like when compared to sailfish which are capable of bursts of 60 miles an hour!"

"Of the countless plastic worm colors, black seems to be a universal favorite that works consistantly for most anglers under a wide variety of conditions. Blue and purple tie for second place, with pumpkin, red and pale green coming in third."

"Although bass will hit a plastic worm, they'll most likely hammer a salamander... bass hate salamanders and try to kill them, even when they're not actively feeding."

- The Bass Anglers Almanac by John Weiss (2001)

I love books and know that they can be a great source of information, but nothing beats practical experience. We're having a BLAST learning as we go!

21 - 24 of 24 Posts