Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1,964 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Woke up thinking I had to work today. Turns out my internal work clock was off target from the screwed up Holiday weekend. So, I made the best of an off-day and went fishing:biggrin1: in spite of the heat.

Boat ramp was empty when I launched at 7:15 much to my surprise. Cruised to one of my spots in north marina cove and started hammering smallies and largies that were crashing schools of shad on the surface. No monsters but a few 2lb'ers in the mix along with a fat 16" Spot.

Tooled around looking for the crappie and found some schools but only managed one solid 11" white crappie and he hit a 3.5" lipless crank. Managed to get my first wiper in that area as well. He was around 13" and had a mouth full of shad along with my swimbait.

Got bored with the slow action on the crappie. So, I decided to find out what the Walters were doing. Seems they are in the same depth I found them two weeks ago 16'-22' feet and still feeding aggressively (at least for me). Same technique and same lure worked all morning and up until I left at 1:30.

Ended up with 22 Bass (all three species), 1 Crappie, 1 Wiper, and 18 Walters (all between 17" and 20"). Not a bad 6 1/2 hours worth of fishing.

Boat ramp was an absolute zoo trying to recover. It never ceases to amaze me the amounts of non-launching/recovering idiots we have in our state. What should take about 5 minutes to do takes most at least 20 if they get lucky or in the case of the ass-hat in front of me-40 minutes. SMFH- perhaps instead of 4 people doing pre-launch inspections they should have one be a ramp cop to direct traffic on the ramps.

·
Registered
16,630 Posts
The ass-hats are there to make you pay for your delightful fishing day! Gotta pay to play!

LOL-

·
Registered
1,952 Posts
Ya decided to stay south? Sound's like you had a fun day, you deserved it. I was busy workin' my fingers to the bone!:mad:

·
Registered
833 Posts
Nice, indeed!

I need to make my way down there some time.

I fish John Martin every year, never fished Pueblo, tho...

·
Registered
12,554 Posts
Nice! Man you aren't lying about the dumbasses at the ramp.....it's pretty painful watching them all struggle backing down and parking in lame spots on the ramp, etc. Huge time wasters.

·
Registered
9,427 Posts
when you aren't waiting to put in or take out it is fun to sit and watch the comedy, it is almost worth paying for. I watched the other day when a boat came in and the passenger jumped out and tied the boat up then went to the driver to get the key to the truck where they dropped the keys and got lucky when they bounced off the gunnel onto the dock, it would have more fun watching them having to dive for the keys. the best take out I ever saw was at n.marina after a tourney when 7 rigs were picking up boats at the same time, 7 across on the ramp was fender to fender. you can't do it now with the high water but it was a bit wider at low water.

·
Registered
2,878 Posts
Good day on the water Ninja. The ramp has always been a zoo-I can't wait for the cooler weather and fewer people come Sept.

·
Registered
1,601 Posts
Four people doing inspections. I'm sure Puelo gets busy, but is that really necessary? Short on funds my ass! If they would think about it and can do inspections efficiently, they could find a way to man the ramps that are closed due to funding shortfalls. Preaching to the choir I realize.

·
Registered
543 Posts
I love spotted bass. Nice job. That is one reason I love Pueblo. If you get tired of yanking one type of fish you can just go target a different species and start yanking them.

Funny story I posted several years ago about "pueblo pond action heating up earlier than usual". I caught 20 or 30 largies that day. For some reason people assumed it was Valco. It was a private pond that I had access to that was only stocked with largemouth. I started getting hate mail that I didn't know the difference between a spot and a largemouth. I just thought the whole thing was humorous.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts