Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
F

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
for all the guys that live up north in the thornton/northglenn area . I think we should meet and talk to whoever is running the outdoor parks program. Last year this lake had a great trout population with many fish over 20 inches. They opened it to the public with a standard trout limit ? why ? wouldnt it be great to catch nice rainbows right down the street from our house, of course it would and we had it but people overharvested this lake to the point barley no one fishes it anymore. Im sure the lake still has a decent population of walleye's and cats. If the lake was able to produce trophy fish before why couldnt it again. I think it would be great to meet up and try to talk to the city about having this body of water be catch and release for all trout. That brings up Spratte Platte what a great bass fishery very close to home. If you have fished spratt youve seen people keep smaller bass then they should. Youve also seen people toss trash like its the pepsi center where there is a janitorial staff. Its frustrating for me to have these places right next to where I live get trashed and I would like to do something but not really sure of what I can do. If you live in the area and are interested in trying to get some rules changed this winter speak up or im me ...maybe we can get something going

Thornton gravel pit front pond

·
Registered
3,655 Posts
yeah i agree with u when it opened i caught monster trout and some decent walleyes and cats but this year i;ve went a couple times with no bites or nothin it seems the park rangers are always at the wrong place at the wrong time

F

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I think alot has to be said for the way aurora runs their lakes .....At quincy if you brake the rules you will be caught ...I think thornton might want to look into hiring a full time ranger to patrol these new bodies of water they are opening ....Maybe adams county should do it ...They just opened some new ponds not to long ago and I'm already seeing the worm containers on the banks of a flies and lures only lake !!!

·
Registered
943 Posts
hey fg i with you i live right up the street from there and would love to talk to thornton about it. let me know i'll be there

F

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
afishman Im gonna go to spratt when I get a minute today and write the phone number down on who to contact ....we need an attack plan first ....What rule changes do you think would best help the fishing at the gravel pits and spratt platte

·
Registered
943 Posts
well first off we need to figure out an enforcement angle. the only person i ever see is that a**hole that closes the lakes. i think we need to find out if they are ever going to stock that lake again. i think spratte should be just catch and release since it is already artificials only. just a few thoughts i will think about it.

F

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
you know what I like about quincy reservoir is on hand rangers...Why not a full time ranger for the thornton lakes ...He can rotate from one to they other since they are in such a close proximity .....Spratt has got to be catch and release....its absurd to me that they wouldnt have made it catch and release from day one. I remeber wanting to fish it when it was private and seeing all those boats out there having fun catching fish...It was a well taken care of lake im sure the people that used to be members of it are very dissapointed at what the city has done with the lake. Im sure city workers in the past fished the gravel pits and knew it had monster rainbows in it....The d.o.w. had to do some kind of survey before they opened it to know this also ...Why open a trophy trout lake with no special restrictions? Why not insure generations to come great fishing this close to home. sorry still venting ...

1. Catch and release all bass at spratt platte
2. Catch and release all trout at gravel pits ...or have a two trout limit, maybe a slot were all trout over 20 inches must be released to the water immediatly ....
3. Full time rangers are needed to properly inforce rules and regulations.

just some of my ideas

·
Registered
943 Posts
i would pay to get in. they already pay the rent a cop to close the lakes and give tickets.

F

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Im not really sure ....but in these massive grants that the city recieved for renovating(putting paths and docks in ) you think they would have saved enough money to protect them...The grants that they got were well into the millions if I remeber correctly .....or just like the city of aurora pay an entry fee...I think a 3-5 dollar entry fee would run out alot of people who break the rules right away.  The use the entry fee to help pay salary's and what can't be cover with that tax the public ....Im sure the city could recieve more grants...whatever it takes really ...

I know no one wants to pay more taxes but how much of an increase could it really be

·
Registered
943 Posts
i like that idea about just needing one ranger .they are so close to each other. you are right the entry fee would keep alot of the poachers out

·
Registered
59 Posts
I agree - I'd pay a fee if they kept fish in there. I caught a 20 inch rainbow in the back pond when they first opened. Earlier this year I went back several times & had no action - what a bummer! I actually emailed the Division of Wildlife after I caught the 20 incher (which I threw back)and asked about putting limits on the fish. They indicated that they were running it as put & take with standard limits, because there is no reproduction and there is a danger for winterkill on the lakes, so slots and other protective measures aren't appropriate. So that is the state's take, for whatever it is worth.

·
Registered
943 Posts
there is no chance of winterkill in those lakes and they did not get stocked this year so i dont beklieve the dow has anything to do with those lakes.

F

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
yea there is no winter kill.....they obviously didnt stock the lake with 20-24 inch rainbows ......

·
Registered
7 Posts
There is no way an entrance fee can pay for a FT ranger. I doubt if it would pay for a used vehicle, gas and uniform. What would happen when they go on vacation?  Then you need 2.  Seasonal rangers are young,dumb, and ticket happy, becasue the good ones are hired full time somewhere.  look at some seasonal summer rangers that you have run into at other lakes.   What would the ranger enforce?  Most municipal and county rangers are not level one peace officers so they could not enforce state regs. The city would have to adopt/create a code for him/her to enforce because wildlife laws (title 33) are state statutes.  Aurora gets by because their city council has made a city code that states that everyone must abide by all state fishing and boating laws.  And then they made up a couple more for them to watch over us on ;).  Aurora also has more to lose than just a fishing hole.  Its a secured drinking supply and probably rangers might get some money from the water dept.  I don't think you'd get an open heart from the city of thornton, But hey good luck to you. oh, and I don't think that I would call the guy closing the gate an A$$HOLE.  Just think of the violations that would go on there at night, if that many are happening during the day. JMHO

·
Registered
988 Posts
What about all the money from the state lotto and power ball. I'm sure some of that goes to our state parks. You should check on that if your intrested FG.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts