Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
765 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I talked to this guy yesterday I met out in the street. He was mowing my neighbor's lawn. After talking about this never ending summer we then went into fishing. Let me preface this by saying that this fellow looks like a 60s hippie and talks like a blow-hard. My guess is that he has smoked a fair amount of weed in his days. We start talking about Williams Fork first. He starts telling me he has caught 45 lb. pike from there while standing on ladder out in the flats and casting whole suckers at them when he sees them come swimming in from atop the ladder. He tells me he did this while fishing with one of the DOW guys. He also tells me he uses 60 lb. test.

We then discuss Lake Trout at WF. He tells me he has caught and seen caught fish that were 60-70 pounds from shore just after the bouy lines come down. He says there is a spot where the monsters come in by the tens of thousands waiting for spawn.

He then decides to tell me about the 96 lb. channel cat he caught at Sterling Res. that he landed.

Now each time he mentions a fish to me I quote to him what the state record is for that species and where it was caught including the recent cat from Aurora. He tells me the records do not mean a thing and that he never has recorded one of his fish.

My question is this, is this guy high on a lot more than just life or can there be ANY substantiation of these wild tales?

·
Registered
6,422 Posts
Ask to see his scale, I bet it's in ounces. And he's a fisherman, so he is statistically prone to lying when there is no photographic evidence.

·
Registered
1,128 Posts
The world record Channel Cat is 58 pounds, they don't grow hardly any larger than that. There have been only two or three verified 50 pound channels.
As for the pike, that would be the most believeable one. I don't buy the lake trout either, even though they can grow that large. There MIGHT be a 60 pound fish in Blue Mesa but that's iffy.

·
Registered
3,589 Posts
total bs, just like the guy that knows a guy thats a diver works on the damn and is scared of all the 100lb fish down there. Had one guy swear he has caught king mackerel in colo.

·
Registered
6,422 Posts
redleader said:
total bs, just like the guy that knows a guy thats a diver works on the damn and is scared of all the 100lb fish down there. Had one guy swear he has caught king mackerel in colo.
King Mackinaw?

·
Registered
7,804 Posts
IceInTheVeins. said:
The world record Channel Cat is 58 pounds, they don't grow hardly any larger than that. There have been only two or three verified 50 pound channels.
As for the pike, that would be the most believeable one. I don't buy the lake trout either, even though they can grow that large. There MIGHT be a 60 pound fish in Blue Mesa but that's iffy.
Yep... Even the pike is kinda unbelievable. What's the largest ever caught here? I know even less about lakers, but that seems a bit far fetched.

Here's another thing that makes all this (eh-hem) fishy....There are a lot of great fishermen/women on this site, many of whom have a specific type of fish they like to target. Is it really possible for one guy to catch so many world (LMAO as I type this) record class fish, in Colorado, no less? ??? :-\

BS! Or really, REEEAALLY good weed... ;D

·
Registered
2,877 Posts
Don't believe any of it. I talked once with a guy who scuba dived Pueblo down by the dam years ago-swears he saw 100 lb catfish, etc.

You hear ridiculous stories all the time.

·
Registered
11,877 Posts
pikester said:
My question is this, is this guy high on a lot more than just life or can there be ANY substantiation of these wild tales?
No way on any of those fish. Complete

·
Registered
725 Posts
Guess as good a time as any to drop that I dated Molly Simms. Really was great but she wanted to bring Heidi Klum into the festivities....had to end it at that point

·
Registered
4,799 Posts
Some what close to the story but my buddy's dad who tags along once in awhile needs to clarify the correct name of everything we catch. For example all these years I haven't been catching browns on the Colo river they are really dolly varden like the one's in canada I'm told ;D There's been a few times we slayed the King Samon (white fish) on the lower eagle, we had a few epic days at granby catching Coho (lakers). My favorite was icing a wally from chatfield and the best ID he was able to come up with was something must of swam up the platte from the mid west or the gulf ;D Really all the above is true and I just sit back in eager anticipation to find out what might be on the end of the line ;D I guess my buddys dad isn't full of it he's just really dumb >:D

·
Registered
1,674 Posts
Sounds like that feller suffers from "delusions of grandeur", a commonly diagnosed psychological condition. Might be more prevailent in old fisherman. And it sounds like his condition could be supported by the residuals of extensive drug use in the 60's and 70's

"EARLY TO BED, EARLY TO RISE, FISH LIKE HELL, MAKE UP LIES"

·
Registered
767 Posts
Even discussing the possibilities are about as stupid as he THOUGHT the Pikester was when he lied his 14lb. perch off! But thank you Pikester for the passing on the humor of life. By the way, I'd post the pic of my 18" blue gill I caught last week on a #12 floating original, but I just don't want too, it doesn't mean anything to me, I already know I'm the best fisherman in the world! 8)

1 - 20 of 22 Posts